Incident At Inman Yard, Injury To Conductor

Started by peachfuzz, November 02, 2008, 04:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peachfuzz

Radio is buzzing with a shoving incident where the radio failed.  Conductor was forced to dismount fast moving equipment and received a "non reportable" injury (...does that mean it hurts any less?  Get to a doctor, a real one, not the company quack...)

This apparently just occurred in the past hour or so.  No further details available.  Will advise if more information is given.

:-[

TM3358

I must say it does stink when that happens hope the conductor was ok I have had that happen to me @ railserve

JCagle

Non reportable injuries from an OSHA standpoint are injuries that happen but do not require treatment by medical professionals. Things like sprains and  strains, cuts, scrapes, and bruises.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

ssmith1627

What exactly happened though ?  A shoving incident ?  Between who and who ?

Did any more detail come out ?

Steve

JCagle

They are referring to an incident that happened during a shoving move and not a shoving match between members of the crew. There's a lot of terminology to get a hold of with railroading. We'll try to help get ya up to speed!

Shoving takes place a lot of times in yards and at industrial sites. Shoving involves the train basically running in reverse. Since the engine is not on the front of the move a member of the crew will ride on the rear of the cars to help the engineer keep from backing into or over something. In this case it sounds like the crew member's radio quit working while they were trying to assemble a train. When the radio went out the engineer was not getting information about how far he had left in the move before coupling up. The engineer must have not slowed down sufficiently and the conductor had to jump or be pinned between two cars.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

ssmith1627

Thanks for the explanation !   Makes a lot more sense now.   

Steve

J-man

A non-reportable injury? Sounds like NS wants to keep the FRA out of it so they can achieve their beloved Harriman award that they always go ape over.
God Bless America!
NS Conductor, CNO&TP
A few pictures

TB4JY

I've asked several people about this and no one knows anything about it. ???  We do have one engineer out of service around that time, but no one knows why he is out of service. :-\  Most likely unrelated.  Usually when something like this happens, word spreads like a wild fire around the Georgia division. ;)  But not this time.  Could have been a Alabama or Piedmont crew.  In that case we wouldn't hear too much about it. :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk