Thinking about moving to ATL & hiring on with NS

Started by SooLineDude, August 02, 2008, 07:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SooLineDude

Hello to all here!!  I just signed-up because I've been thinking about to moving to Georgia, while continuing my career as a rail.  I've been a conductor for a railroad up north, operating in dark territory for 4 years now.  Just finally have enough seniority here to hold a permant mark on one of the coveted 8&3 pools.  I've been hearing conflicting stories from several co-workers about what the NS is like to work for.  I've heard rumors of mass migrations of guys going to BNSF and other carriers to get away from the "harassing managment" of the NS.  It couldn't be all that bad, after all, if they really frightened everyone away how could they continue to operate?! 

I'm also looking for where to find some fellow rail's in the Atlanta area when they're not running trains.  It would be great to see & hear what it's actually like to run out there before making any sudden moves. 

Also, I've been considering going into dispatching.  Are NS dispatchers management or union?  And are there any rumors of  the NS consolidating their regional dispatching offices into a central location any time soon?

Thanks for your help!!    ;D

GP30Rider

NS dispatchers are union I believe.  Don't look for them to centralize anytime soon unless sombody gets a wild hair.

Michael Knight

If they did centralize, Atlanta would be the place to be. Dispatchers are union represented.

E.M. Bell

We have a lot of NS rails on here that may be able to help answer your questions, but I would also recommend you check out Yardlimits.com.  It is a Rail Labor website with sections for each class one. They focus more on what you are asking, and I am sure you can get the answers there!

The URL is

http://www.yardlimits.com/
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

jcmark4501

The biggest problem with NS is that the conductor's extra board are not guaranteed. Other than that, the officials can be of a pain but, as long as you follow the rules you shouldn't have a problem. NS is much less lenient than most other railroads when ti comes to the rulebook. The officials in Kentucky aren't as bad as they used to be.

If you don't want to move right away, CSX will be opening a dispatching center in Atlanta sometime in the next year. CSX pays their dispatchers about $50-$75 dollars more a day than NS dispatchers but, they also usually have 100 or more miles to control than the average NS dispatcher. No matter what a dispatcher gets paid, the money on the road is still much better.

Michael Knight

Quote from: jcmark4501 on August 03, 2008, 08:19:05 PM
No matter what a dispatcher gets paid, the money on the road is still much better.

But a dispatcher's hours can't be beat compared to a road job: fifteen hours of off-time between shifts are guaranteed for dispatchers while road crews are guaranteed only eight to ten hours.

Beavis

As nsboxcar stated, the dispatchers on NS are represented by the American Train Dispatchers Association.  It is also true that dispatchers are required to have 15 hours off between shifts.  However, until you have enough seniority to hold a regular job, you are subject to call at any time and also have no guaranteed rest days just like most train crews.  And no, NS won't be consolidating their dispatching offices.
Dispatching has its "goods" and "bads" but take it from one who knows, it's not worth it.

GAandFLA-RR

Quote from: Beavis on August 03, 2008, 11:54:16 PM
Dispatching has its "goods" and "bads" but take it from one who knows, it's not worth it.

Beavis said it right there.  I crossed over to the "dark side" several years ago.  Let a buddy of mine who is a damn good dispatcher convince me to come join him..........what a mistake.  I have some thick skin, but found out I needed a flak jacket too.  No matter how well you run your railroad, the assistant supt or trainmaster will always have a better way and will not hesitate to let you know it. ::)  I got a belly full of that and went back to my less crazy department at the time, CYO.  I'm sure if I stuck it out a while longer I would have settled in nicely, but I would definitely be under a different (negative) mindset.  But hey, if you love the pressure and stress, you'll do well.

Like Beavis said also, NS will not be centralizing their dispatchers. 

Jared

NS car inspector
Long live the G&F
LONG HOOD FORWARD FOREVER

Beavis

SooLineDude, notice some of the words in GAandFL's last post: "thick-skin", "flak jacket", "pressure" and "stress".  Dispatching isn't a job that gets "atta boys" and pats on the back.  Many crews believe that you have no idea what you are doing even though they can only see what's in front of their engine.  They can't see the big picture but the only thing that matters to them is that you've stopped them or you've told them to do some sort of extra work.
You'll also have a chief and an asst. superintendent breathing down you're neck.  You can make a thousand good moves but you'll only hear about the one you messed up.  "Why are you yellow blocking 229?" etc. etc.
Then, if you work 1st. or 2nd. shift, there is MOW gouging you every 3 minutes, the phone ringing off the hook, and on and on. 
Also, and most importantly, there aren't many jobs outside of the medical profession where your mistake can kill someone.  I have come close once unfortunately and can't begin to tell how sickening it feels.
Lastly, ask any old-head dispatcher if they had it to do over, they will all tell you that would have done something else with their life.
To save you all the boring details I'll sum up: DON'T DO IT!

TB4JY

Quote from: Beavis on August 04, 2008, 02:32:07 PM
They can't see the big picture but the only thing that matters to them is that you've stopped them or you've told them to do some sort of extra work.

"Why are you yellow blocking 229?" etc. etc.

That's a typical dispatcher cop out! ::)  If we don't have the "BIG" picture, why don't dispatchers enlighten us?  You dispatcher's get ticked off if we don't tell you we are having mechanical trouble.  Well we get ticked off if you don't tell us why we are not making it over the road.  Communication is lacking in the dispatchers office. >:(

And why are you yellow blocking 229? :P

Beavis

Communication is lacking everywhere.  It's not a cop out.  Dispatchers usually don't have the time and his plan is always a work in process.  However, a good dispatcher will at least tell a train crew who they are meeting a when they will leave.  It's easy to do when there a few trains but when you get in the 20's it's much harder.
TB4JY I believe you work on the GA Divsion.  If so, I understand your frustration.

JCagle

From what I hear coming over the radio we have a couple good dispatchers in the Charlotte district office. They almost say "I've got 204 coming past Adams I'll need you to hold for him at Reid" or whatever the justification is for the holdup. They usually try to get an estimate of how long till the holding train will be moving again as well. With the busy traffic patterns in chunks at times and several sections of single track it could become an engineer's worst nightmare. Throw in 6 Amtrak trains a day and local service during the day and it easily could become a charlie foxtrot.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk