Near Head-On in Lexington, KY

Started by jcmark4501, March 18, 2008, 05:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcmark4501

Details are sketchy but, it sounds like a northbound got by the signal at Greendale with a soutbound only a few miles away.

J-man

Uh oh.... time to turn on the radio.
God Bless America!
NS Conductor, CNO&TP
A few pictures

Dieselfan

By the video on the Lexington T.V station,the two trains were able to get stopped with only a couple hundred feet between them. Luckily  this close call ended safely!
EMD ; There is NO Substitute!!!

Michael Knight

Does anyone have more details to share, such as the identity of the trains involved?

Thankfully, it appears a disaster was avoided!

Dieselfan

Looks like both trains were double stacks from the tv video...s/b train led by NS 9917.....n/b  led by UP 4071?  If you have highspeed internet,go to http://www.wkyt.com/ for video.

Or go to http://www.wtvq.com/midatlantic/tvq/news.apx.-content-articles-TVQ-2008-03-18-0011.html To see a picture of just how close a call it was.

alxmoss1992

Quote from: Dieselfan on March 19, 2008, 07:59:38 AM
Looks like both trains were double stacks from the tv video...s/b train led by NS 9917.....n/b  led by UP 4071?  If you have highspeed internet,go to http://www.wkyt.com/ for video.

Or go to http://www.wtvq.com/midatlantic/tvq/news.apx.-content-articles-TVQ-2008-03-18-0011.html To see a picture of just how close a call it was.
Well dag on. Just another chance for the media to make trains look bad.
Alex L. Moss

Dieselfan

jcmark4501

The UP train was an intermodal. I saw him earlier in the day and he was flat out hauling the mail.

GAandFLA-RR

The crap's goin' hit the ceiling fan now...................
Jared

NS car inspector
Long live the G&F
LONG HOOD FORWARD FOREVER

TB4JY

Quote from: Enginecrew on March 19, 2008, 07:26:03 PM
OK, question guys.... The article says (IN PART): "That's when officials say the conductor of the Cincinnati-bound train ran a set of lights..." So have times changed and now the conductor is responsible for the engineer running a stop signal (Assume they ran a stop signal?) or is it because he's in the cab with the engineer and because he's the ?conductor? the responsibility falls on him, or am I missing something here?

Maybe because he's in charge of the train.

swinstandley

The NS ATCS Monitor log file from Tuesday afternoon shows that the two trains stopped at Spurr Road at 3:53 PM. The northbound had a red signal at Greendale (MP 77.4) on track #1 while the southbound was to switch to track #2 at Greendale with green signals all the way to MP 83.2.  Can the switch be set for the southbound and the northbound train still make it through that switch?  The picture on the channel 36 web site looks like the UP locomotive is just north of  the switch.

Stew

Michael Knight

Switches can be run-through very easily.

Junior

Quote from: Enginecrew on March 19, 2008, 07:26:03 PM
OK, question guys.... The article says (IN PART): "That's when officials say the conductor of the Cincinnati-bound train ran a set of lights..." So have times changed and now the conductor is responsible for the engineer running a stop signal (Assume they ran a stop signal?) or is it because he's in the cab with the engineer and because he's the “conductor” the responsibility falls on him, or am I missing something here?

I have learned in my 9 years with NS that is always the Conductors fault.

The railroad rumor mill is hard at work on this one.  If I find out the whole story from a dependable source I will share it.

Later
Junior

GaryWhitis

The trains involved No 230 Northbound and No 236 Southbound.  The train crews communicated with each other and stopped 700 ft. from each other. No crews have been charged with running stop signal.  The Engineer and Conductor both would be charged with running a stop signal if it happens.

J-man

The only thing I've heard is that the Northbound had a false clear @ Fayette and apparently this was verified through the event recorder, so no charges were made against the crew, and both crews are back to work. 
God Bless America!
NS Conductor, CNO&TP
A few pictures

Dieselfan

Thank goodness the crew was cleared of fault. That's got to make the crews think twice when they see a signal indication,if thats really what they're  supposed to be seeing!!

geno404

Just curious as to how the event recorder works especially with regards to the signal system? 

I was aware that it recorded speed, braking, various settings in the cab, but didn't realize that they could figure out what color the signal was using the event recorder (since this isn't cab signal territory).   

What all can they gather off the event recorder?  It's obviously a lot more than I thought and got my curiousity going.

Glad that they didn't have a bad outcome here.  I presume that if they missed by just 700 feet,  if either train (who would have covered 700 feet at 50 miles per hour initially in a matter of seconds) would have applied brakes just a few seconds later, they would not have gotten stopped short of each other!   

Michael Knight

The signal systems have event recorders, both in the field and in the dispatcher's office.

Michael Knight

Also, the on-board cameras on the lead locomotives can show which signal indication was illuminated.

geno404

Ah, both make sense.   I was thinking in terms of the on board event recorder on the locmotive only. 

How widespread are the cameras on NS locomotives (or throughout the industry for that matter)?

Michael Knight

Cameras are now fairly common on modern lead units belonging to the large Class 1 railroads.

NS has cameras on at least a third of their fleet, maybe half.

jcmark4501

Quote from: Enginecrew on March 21, 2008, 10:00:40 AM
Quote from: Junior on March 19, 2008, 11:05:35 PM
I have learned in my 9 years with NS that is always the Conductors fault.

The railroad rumor mill is hard at work on this one.  If I find out the whole story from a dependable source I will share it.

I see times have changed since my day as the engineer would have been charged with running a stop board or going through a switch. Didn't matter if the conductor was in the cab or not as he wasn't running the engine. The conductor is always in charge of the train and he can yell all he wants but if the engineer doesn?t listen there's not much he can do depending on the time factor.

Didn't know there was no blame assigned, that is good news given the mindset of most railroad officials... assuming they haven't changed.

First, I think the person writing that story had no idea what she was talking about. One of the news channels called me at work before they called Norfolk Southern.

Second, with the Conductor and Engineer in the lead unit, they are both equally responsible for running red boards. Even if the conductor cannot make the engineer stop, he still has a dump valve on his side to put the train in emergency.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk