Heading to the Pokey

Started by Ns Railfan, October 01, 2007, 04:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ns Railfan

I am planning on heading up to Bluefield WV and exploring the Pochantas district. Does anyone know any awsome location to shoot and the best time of day to shoot certain trains.  Also in daylight hours about how many trains operate over the "Pokey".

Thanks for the help,
Jacob

Chase55671

I have some information I can get from a friend. I live 45 mins. from the " Pokey ".

Stay Tuned,
Chase

Michael Knight

Get a hold of Ron Stafford or Brent Harrison. They can help tremendously.  :)

Expoacher

Thanks Paul and the reminder from Butch.
  Though I'm not an expert by far on the Pokey, I do try to fan it every couple of months (decided a while back you can't take it with you!). Anyway, if new to the area I'd try hitting the big coaling tower at Farm which will always have either pusher sets idling or a coal drag awaiting it's turn on the Elkhorn Grade. Farm is good both in morning and evening light, as both sides of the tower are easily accessible.
  Following Davy Road from Farm west, the town of Davy is good with pushers often attached here or idling on the west side of town. Going west you'll hit the Twin Branch tunnels, Vaughan tunnel, Roderfield tunnel, and several others between here and Iaeger. All are roadside and easily photographed.
  Next on my list would be the country east of Keystone, where the coal drags will be literally at a crawling speed trying to make the top of the grade at Elkhorn Tunnel.
  The area west of Iaeger toward War Eagle has been described by some as remote and not worth fooling with, so use your own discretion here....:o)
  Feel free to email me direct if you've got more specific questions.
  Brent A. Harrison

Michael Knight

Ns Railfan

I have one more quick question is Elkhorn Tunnel easily accesible and if not can anyone give me directions to locate the tunnel.

Jacob

ns_7011

As far as your everyday trains go, here's a simple listing, not including grain and coal trains.

194, EB mix freight, often has autoparts boxcars.
147, WB mix freight.
148, EB mix freight.
17M, WB mix freight, always a favorite.
18M, EB mix freight, yet another favorite.
185, WB mix freight and autoparts.
27R/27G, WB autoracks, symbol varies between the two.
274, EB autoracks.
217, WB TOFC
218, EB TOFC
233, WB COFC, sometimes has autoracks on head end.
234, EB COFC, often a very odd train, sometimes has 86' boxcars and 89' flats with forklifts.

I've been wanting to plan a Pokey trip lately. Especially since these KCS units are showing up. Anyone up for an outting?
EMD all the way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk