The high bridge at High Bridge

Started by The Idiot Railfan, December 09, 2005, 02:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Idiot Railfan

Question -

How photographable is the bridge at High Bridge, KY?  Caleb, I see you have the only shot of it on Railpictures.net, and it looks like there are many trees growing around your vantage point.

It appears to be quite photogenic, judging from the cover of Nov '51 TIES:
http://southern.railfan.net/ties/1951/51-11/cover.jpg
But, vegetation has a tendency to ruin that over time (especially without the assistance of pollution from steam engines to help control it)...

Butch

Mark,

There is an overlook at the little park at High Bridge that permits a decent view of the bridge from the east.  The are some cables that you will have to work around, depending on the shot that you want.

ba

swinstandley

There is a county park at High Bridge.  During the refurbishing of the park a few years ago, a deck was built out over the hill side that provides pretty good viewing from the east side.  You get about the same view as in your cover attachment.

cmherndon

There are a few trees there, but nothing you can't work around.  Also, there's a road leading down to the river and a few houses are down there.  I've not been down that way for a while, and honestly can't remember if there's any shot down there or not...well, maybe if you're in a boat there is.  Driving down the road isn't recommended during the monsoon season.  :wink:

E.M. Bell

There are very few good angles of the bridge that I have found. On the North side of the river there is the aforementioned park. Only one or two good angles there, mostly boxed in by tress and backlt a good portion of the day. Get there about a hour after sunup for this one. As caleb said, you can follow the road off highway 29 down into the river valley and drive under the North end of the bridge and on up the valley a bit. There are a few killer angles down there in the winter (no leaves). This also a early to mid-morning shot most of the year.  

My favorite spot to shoot the bridge is at Shakers Landing.  Its on the South side of the river off of Highway 68 near Shakertown. There is a small white sign that points towards the landing and a summer riverboat ride.  The road is very narrow and twisty, but worth the drive down in there. You get a treeless upward looking angle with the river in it. Only bad part is that you almost have to get a train on #2 track there, otherwise the steep angle cuts it half off.  

There is no reason to walk into either end at track level, there are just no good shots there. You fellows plan a overnight trip up this way when you can spend a whole day and Ill give you the 50cent tour of that area and the Louisville side..
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

The Idiot Railfan

Many thanks to all of the replies.  We'll try to get up that way again very soon.

E.M. Bell

Mark,

I finally found a picture from down in the valley below the bridge..as I said, I dont shoot the bridge very often! This is from 1990, but the scene is pretty much the same today, not counting the SD40-2 running long hood forward...and the CNW motor second out :)  

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

blacksheep

I was looking through some old topics and found one that rang a bell. It's been over a year but someone may be interested in my old painting of the high bridge. Does anyone remember when these paintings used to hang in the SR passenger depots? This one may have been in Knoxville. I've looked for some info but can't find anything on line. Sorry the photo isn't better but maybe it will bring back memorys to passengers of the old SR.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk