What NS train do you see most frequently?

Started by Matt L, January 07, 2013, 08:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I've started reviewing my pics for the "Best of 2012" topic... and I came to the realization that I see one NS train more than any of the others. Up here in NY, 38T covers the Southern Tier Mainline any time from mid-morning to early afternoon... so it's an ideal train for me to capture in photos. The funny thing is, 38T is a joint NS/CP run (Toronto-Binghamton), so it runs with big red CP units most of the time!

And as I sat in my chair pondering 38T, I began to wonder... which train do the rest of you see most often on NS lines in other parts of the country?
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

florida581

On the GS&F into Jacksonville, the two most dependable trains, and definitely the most often seen, are 209 and 229.  They make a mid morning arrival into Jacksonville, one usually right on the other's block.  With an average of 12 trains a day on this line, and the majority of those running at night, 209 and 229 are a wonderful break from the constant parade of CSX in and out of the Sunshine State!
Andrew

mbgphoto79

In Greensboro NC, the train I see most regularly is P30, the daily turn from Winston Salem. Usually has 3 C40-9W's for power that stay with the train for a full maintenance cycle. As far as mainline runs it would be 213 which makes it's stop around 0900. I can usually catch him at Pomona Yard on the way to work.

Matt

Badhorse79

Everyday I see the sharonville shifter ( not sure the train number) it runs past the house headed south around 3-4 pm then back around 6-7 this months been nice its 6936 doing the honors but mostly its a D9-40CW but sometimes a good one sneaks in

NSMoWandS

When at home... it would have to be 30A (sometimes number doesn't change in Enola, PA and it will be calling 36A). Usually switches the former Chrysler Yard in late morning... after waiting for SEPTA morning traffic to clear the station. Dan

Railroadguy

I usually see NS 336, 356, and 357 since they run mid afternoon I would add 187 but it gets too dark and he runs around 7:00pm

Ptrainman

762-769 coal trains since they run right behind my house.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

chipallen16

NS P48. They work beside my school, and I get out in time to see them switch on single track and head north to Gainesville.

-Chip  :)

dschlegel

Probably 261 or 212, both seem to run while I'm driving to/from work.

ARandall70

The train I see most often would be P2V, the local freight that works between Raleigh and Fayetteville, NC, based out of Varina(Fuquay-Varina not recognized by NS). I live about a mile from the tracks of the Original Norfolk Southern where P2V ties down. As for manifests, Selma to Linwood, NC train 349 would have to be my most popular. I probably have more pictures and videos of 349, but I see P2V almost daily.
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70

Matt L

Quote from: florida581 on January 07, 2013, 08:38:49 PM
On the GS&F into Jacksonville, the two most dependable trains, and definitely the most often seen, are 209 and 229.  They make a mid morning arrival into Jacksonville, one usually right on the other's block.  With an average of 12 trains a day on this line, and the majority of those running at night, 209 and 229 are a wonderful break from the constant parade of CSX in and out of the Sunshine State!

I can understand your situation- NS's Southern Tier Mainline in NY averages about 12-16 trains per day and it is a welcome change from the action on CSX. Sometimes just 2 or 3 trains will make an appearance on the Tier in daylight (especially in the winter), but on other days I can catch 5 or 6 between dawn and sunset.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

mkerner

32Q runs up the Alton & Southern about 0830 and sits at Citation till apx 1100 waiting on NS crew.Mike

AD4YJ

I would have to say for me it is the 60a/61a. Empty and loaded steel coil trains on the 1st District and then runs up the Louisville district by EM's house(JREB HQ). I think it also holds the record for most derailments...:)

Paul
Paul
Co-Moderator ATCS Board

Seth Evans

For me it would have to be the Linwood-Raleigh 350 on the H-line. Generally 9-10PM I'll step out on the porch and watch em go by. Occasionally chase him to CP King or Durham station if the power is good. Partial ATCS coverage in each direction. Makes for some pretty lazy railfanning at the comfort of my home lol.
When in doubt, notch it out

fireball451

Here lately, its been 29W:
Westbound autoracks on the Bristol line.

Ed Fury

23G easily by far the most often seen by me. Every single day for like weeks at a time that might have been the only train I saw. A close second would be T79 which usually runs either before or after 23G and it has a return trip so I might catch it twice in a day or if I miss it going out I'll catch it coming back.

I don't know what the switcher/yard power that helps build and break down 23G 22A 223 and 224 is called but I guess technically that "train" is really the one I see most often as I pass by the engine probably twice a day five days a week sometimes more.

High Speed Kurt

I see 345 (Birmingham to the Union Pacific) quite a bit. I also see #393 which is a cut to the BNSF.  My office window overlooks the New Orleans back belt (owned by the NS) I see east-west traffic between west roads (BNSF and UP) and east (CSX and NS)

NS145

For me it's definitely #145, the Buffalo-KC Ford autoparts train: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ns145/tags/ns145/

Ever since I moved to Springfield IL in 1992, #145 has passed thru town around 3:00 to 4:00 PM which means it runs with good light year round.  Plus, with all those 86 foot hi-cubes, its a cool train to watch.
NW: There's No Stopping Us!

Jeff Hamlin

As a driver for PTI, I commonly transport crews from 239 and 76J from my district in Danville, KY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk