Improper radio operation

Started by Fly Device, November 18, 2012, 08:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fly Device

What's with the conductors who hold the cab radio mic at arm's length when calling signal indications? You ain't talking with your dealer on the speaker phone, yo. You got to close-talk that thing.

Does anyone hear this on other divisions? It's common on the Piedmont. Given that identifying train symbol and signal indication over the air is required by the book of rules, it's strange that they aren't actually required to be intelligible.
- Matt
Trackside at 45.9, Piedmont Division

Conductor

What he said.  Some of the radios are turds, plain and simple.  (I also don't condone announcing "improper" anything on a public forum)
Conductor's posts represent the views of Conductor and are not representative of any carrier.

GP30Rider

Quote from: Conductor on November 18, 2012, 10:02:04 PM
What he said.  Some of the radios are turds, plain and simple.  (I also don't condone announcing "improper" anything on a public forum)

Considering he did not mention a specific train or conductor I think he did a fine job of mentioning a common problem in a gentlemen like manner.

Fly Device

I can believe that poorly designed or improperly maintained radios are problem (oops, there's that offensive "improper" word again). I hear some radios that produce a loud whine over top of low audio.

But frequently the engine noise in the cab is loud and clear while the voice is not only low but hollow-sounding. That's usually an indication of a mic held too far from and/or directed away from the mouth.

- Matt

Ptrainman

Mr Knight said it perfectly. Of all the engineers and conductors I know, everyone of them hate the JEM radios.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

Fly Device

Well, I don't see how you guys are supposed to do your job with such an obstacle to communication.
- Matt

E.M. Bell

There are folks who dont get close enough to the mike sometimes, or choose to just hit the "PTT" button on the front of the radio and yell...that is for sure. Heck, I used to do that myself every once in awhile, sometimes you just get lazy!

With that said, I dont know that these new JEM things even have a PTT button on the front, but they are C R A P in any case. Every now and then you will hear once that is good and strong, but the majority are not. Its pretty harsh to call out a crew member if you cant hear them on the radio, because its probably not what you think.

New radios that I would almost bet are running at a lower transmit power, cheap mics, and narrow band have all had a big effect on the quality of communications on the RR, that is the truth. I listen all the time, and what I could hear a year or two ago is not even close to what I can here now (and with no change in my equipment for the most part) The dispatchers and the trains have the same problem, and while its not a good situation, its not likely to be one that will go away anytime soon..

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

GP30Rider

We've got one of the JEM radios in one of our engines and so far no problems.....knock on wood.

Railroadguy

Most of the newer ES40DC's conductor radio sucks 7620-7713, it sounds muffled

nsrlink

Based on my observations, it is a little bit of everything mentioned thus far...
Crappy JEM radios (narrowband may have something to do with it.)
Excessive cab noise
Lazy / sorry conductors who can't pick up the mic
Lazy / sorry conductors who DO pick up the mic but mutter / whisper / speak softly in to the thing.

The last one confounds me.  I harp on people to "speak up" if / when they're going to use the radio.  Funny thing is during "normal in-cab conversation"  "their volume level" is, well, normal.  But put a radio mic in to their hands & some talk so softly and at low volume many can't understand their transmission.  WTF??

...And to be fair, the conductors are *usually* calling the signals these days (least as required by the rule book & in my area,) however, some engineers can't be bothered to lean up close to the mic [hole] on the radio & speak in to it.  You get a bunch of background noise in that situation, as usually, the engineer's don't have a "phone style" handset mic to speak in to on their side.

E.M. Bell

Not at least TRYING to speak and be heard on the radio in a clear manner has always been a pet peeve of mine. A bad radio or handset is one thing, but just not giving a crap is unacceptable in my book.  I had a couple of our conductors in Knoxville that got the message fast when I would stop and not move until they would repeat what they said (yelling into a handheld ect)...

Calling signals and what not is important, and I think a lot of the younger guys don't realize that and think it is just another  "stupid" rule, not realizing that it can and HAS saved lives in the past. 2 or 3 years ago NS had a signal malfunction on the CNO&TP North of Lexington, with a Northbound getting a clear off double track and out onto single at Greendale. The signal should have been Red, and the crew on a Souhtbound heard the other train call the clear at Greendale, and took action. Both trains got stopped...about 200 feet from each other.  Had the crew on the Northbound not spoken clearly or not called that signal, its doubtful anyone would have walked away from that one..

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

nsrlink

Good post & I agree, E.M.
When you're following another train or trying to "pace yourself'' to a certain location, (not get an approach or trying to make a rolling meet,) it's very helpful when you can clearly hear "the other train."  It kills me that so many of "the newer ones" ask:  "who was that / what train was that"  ...cause their counterpart is muttering.   Of course, if they're asking & also muttering, I have to speak up & say that's probably what you sound like on the radio too & no one knows what you just called either; think about it.

I do appreciate those who take a little pride and try to be audible.  For me it is comforting to hear the opposing train call a stop, as one example.  I know at least someone is alert / awake & complying or available to take action if needed.  Many think the whole thing is stupid, but I'm glad NS requires it.  And you're right, when the muttering starts & the engine stops, magically, the radio transmissions become louder & much clearer!   :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk