What should I know about Roanoke?

Started by MotoLinz, July 16, 2012, 07:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotoLinz

Don't most families plan trips to Disney? Not ours. Since both my boys (5 and 3) are train obsessed, we're thinking about Roanoke. We'd like to go in the next few weeks before the oldest starts kindergarten. I know about the VA Museum of Transportation and the Link(?) Museum. What else? Anything we should absolutely see or absolutely skip? Any suggested places to stay or eat? We'll probably just make a long weekend of it since it's only a few hours away.

Ptrainman

As far as museums go, VMT and the O. Winston Link museum are the only railroad related ones that I know of. Lots of motels/hotels around town. The Hotel Roanoke is right on the tracks in downtown near the N. Jefferson signals, it is higher than most other but it will most likely be worth it.
As far as what to see, from 8 1/2 St. to just west of 16th St are the only places in Roanoke that are accessible. You could go east of Roanoke toward Blue Ridge or west toward Christiansburg. I have never been north of Roanoke, so Im not of much help there.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

Trainman24210

The Walnut Ave. Viaduct is a good place for overhead shots but be careful of traffic.  I wouldn't do it with kids.  NS security is probably best of anywhere on the system.  I was thrown out there 40 years ago.  There are good locations along roads outside the cities in almost any direction.  Montgomery Tunnel is west of Shawsville and is a famous place to sit and wait for a shot.  There is a zoo on Mill Mountain and there is an incredible view of the city from the park at the star on the mountain.  Lots great restaurants.  Have a great vacation.

SPV

MotoLinz

Thanks, y'all. Our trip will probably just be a couple days in Roanoke, so we should be able to fill it with all of that. :)

D300

I think it is called Waburn, to the west is where the NW and VGN lines cross. Its been years since I was there but I got a few good photos at that location in the 80-90s.

Beyond that ROA has no one place that everything passes. Sit on the main and you miss the coal, sit at south yard and you miss all the empties. Foaming ROA requires you to move around.

MotoLinz

My kids do not discriminate. If it travels on a rail, they are happy to see it. I merely drive the car. So, anywhere for some train watching or any sort works for us. :)

MotoLinz

This didn't happen last summer but should be happening at some point during the kids' spring break at the end of March. Are there any days of the week, typically, that have heavier train traffic through downtown Roanoke? Or is it just a daily crapshoot? We can go pretty much any time during the week, so I want to maximize the effort, if possible.

Trainman24210

I understand the viewing platform at the transportation museum has now had some photography ports cut in the fence, In my humble opinion one of the more stupid things done in a while.  Everything except some South Yard coal trains comes by there.  As for South Yard it is possible to drive right up to the place where they keep units which are not on trains.  You can take pictures from public property.

SPV

fireball451

When coming up 81 (or back down), stop by Abingdon and take a look at class M 433. She is sad looking in her pen, but still needs attention.
(I am assuming you are coming from Knoxville since I think I read some Knoxville related posts by you!)
There are a lot of NS railfanning opportunities all along I 81.
About every other year, I make a trip to Roanoke to see 611 and 1218, plus got through Link Museum.

MotoLinz

Yep, we'll be coming from Knox. I have never been to Roanoke except passing through on some moto trips, but my six year old is positively obsessed. I don't need an alarm clock, because he's in our room on the computer looking at the Roanoke rail cam every morning by 5:30. Then he checks it again after school, before dinner, after stories...

nsrlink

Quote from: MotoLinz on February 22, 2013, 05:26:31 PM
This didn't happen last summer but should be happening at some point during the kids' spring break at the end of March. Are there any days of the week, typically, that have heavier train traffic through downtown Roanoke? Or is it just a daily crapshoot? We can go pretty much any time during the week, so I want to maximize the effort, if possible.

Well, N&W, stands for Nights & Weekends  :D ;D
...so that's when they like to run their trains.
Seriously, there are plenty of trains to see most any given time and if there's a lull, you can always go to VMT, The Link Museum, or downtown area; all an easy walk from the tracks.  The kids should have a blast & it should be good memories for them.

Trainman24210

The thing I find odd about Roanoke is that there are so many decent sites, lots of trains, lots of railfans, considering the organizations, and yet there seems to be relatively few pictures taken there.  I don't think I have ever seen a picture taken by someone who actually lives in Roanoke.  NS police have always be draconian there but won't hassle people unless they are on the property.  Rumor has it the "railfan" organizations there have been paralyzed by politics since the flood.  Mission, mission, mission, Roberts rules be damned!  I will descend from my soapbox at this time.

SPV

MotoLinz

Thanks, y'all! Looks like we can fill a decent trip. :)

etalcos

One more for you along the lines of "Roanoke Area".  Take the time one night to drive up to Bedford, VA and eat dinner at the restaurant in the old N&W depot.  The meal is worth the drive and with a little luck NS will provide a "floor show".  The depot backs up to the mainline and its not uncommon to see an empty coal train returning west for another load.  Also, the US Hwy between Roanoke and Bedford paralells the tracks and gets pretty close at several places.

Also #2 -- the Roanoke Chapter is doing a fantastic restoration on the former Virginian RR depot in Roanoke -- might drive by and check that out.  And most importantly, always remember, the best railroad in Roanoke came to town under Cantenary wire and used Electric Locomotives (Juice Jacks).

MotoLinz

Groovy - thanks! The kiddos would love that.

Ptrainman

Ive been trying to reply to this for a couple days but kept forgetting it. about anywhere around Roanoke has a decent amount of trains all the time but its hard to catch them all unless you have a radio and then it can still be challenging. If you are looking for pictures, there are a lot of good places between Roanoke and Christiansburg to catch stuff on both the Christiansburg and Whitethorne Districts. Have you thought about coming up for 630 next month?

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

MotoLinz

Saw that it was scheduled, but it's before the kiddos' spring break. We'll probably catch it when it comes through Knoxville at some point. They've seen it a few times and even got to ride it on one of the employee trips here a few months back. :)

galaxyboy

Well, as of a couple of days ago the hump yard is pretty sad and empty.

The railwalk on Norfolk Ave. is great.  Don't miss the exhibit signs in the pedestrian bridge that crosses the tracks, as well.  There are working signals,  horns, bells, and crossing gates along the walk the kids can play with. 

Just east of downtown are the shops; there are always a bunch of diesel units around the turntable there, but be careful not to trespass although a drive by on Campbell Ave. on the south and Shenandoah Ave. on the north will get you good views.  The whistle Gabriel on the shops blows at noon, 12:30 and 3:00 (at least).  Keep driving east down Campbell Ave. and you might see rail cars coming out of the Freightcar America operation - if you're REALLY lucky you might see a cut of shiny new hoppers being transferred to the yard west of downtown (although there's almost always a long cut or two sitting in the yard).

I have the pleasure of working 19 floors above the tracks with a view to the east.  :P

Have fun!

MotoLinz

Quote from: galaxyboy on February 27, 2013, 04:30:31 PMThere are working signals,  horns, bells, and crossing gates along the walk the kids can play with.
Citizens of Roanoke: Prepare to be annoyed. :)

E.M. Bell

Some of the best train watching spots in Roanoke are from elevated positions. There are several parking garages on either side of the tracks through town (free on the weekends to) that are just dandy for staying out of the crowds, the traffic, and are fairly safe. When we have been in town for special events, a lot of time has been killed on the top of garages..and in at least one case, the roof of an office building..  There are also a couple of pedestrian bridges across the tracks that are decent..

If you want to make the kids happy, just take them to the transportation museum. Lots of cool stuff inside and out that will keep them occupied and happy for hours (the adults may like it to)...and if you have the chance, I would consider the Link museum to be THE place to go...although a RR art gallery may not be the best option with the youngins. ...

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

MotoLinz

We made it! Most of my friends are sunning themselves in Florida. I drove through miles and miles of snowy hillsides. :) Bad news: The Hotel Roanoke doesn't have any rooms available with a track view. Good news: We're facing the Roanoke Shops, and the boys are delighted.

Thanks for all the info and tips, y'all. Looking forward to a good trip.

AFT2101

Have fun and encourage the boys to play with signals, bells, etc.... :)

MotoLinz

Done! ...and will be done again, tomorrow. God bless the inhabitants of downtown Roanoke.

AFT2101

MotoLinz

Quote from: etalcos on February 24, 2013, 12:10:07 PM
One more for you along the lines of "Roanoke Area".  Take the time one night to drive up to Bedford, VA and eat dinner at the restaurant in the old N&W depot.  The meal is worth the drive and with a little luck NS will provide a "floor show".  The depot backs up to the mainline and its not uncommon to see an empty coal train returning west for another load.  Also, the US Hwy between Roanoke and Bedford paralells the tracks and gets pretty close at several places.
Excellent suggestion. I just stuffed my maw with steak and an amazing slice of cheesecake, and the kids were delighted when an empty coal train went screaming by. :) Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk