Concrete ties Vs. Wooden ties

Started by thpbears, June 18, 2012, 02:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveiez

Out west where there is more barren land than forrest, concrete becomes more economical. Concrete is getting stronger everyday with new additives. Even homes are now being built with concrete, and you would never be able too tell the difference.

With all this anti foresting stuff going, concrete will become more popular.
Steve

chipallen16

Yay, a response to a 6-month old thread. Who said anything about deforestation...? I'm pretty sure the trees we have aren't going away...

-Chip

rhotond

NS does have a significant length of concrete ties on the Mon line (south side pgh) but this was put in by Conrail.  No problems that I know of--- this line handles all of the loaded coal out of the mon valley and all ttx double stacks to and from the east coast.

NS also installed (ie  Kiski Jct railroad-- ne Rosebud mining) about 7 miles of steel ties on the line to logansport pa (old buffalo line) northeast of pgh in the last two years.  Don't think that NS had any real say in this however.

r

steveiez

Anyone know how many yards of concrete does a heavy duty have?
Steve

NSMoWandS

Depending on the type of heavy haul tie, density of the concrete and amount of steel renforcement... anywhere from .5-2 yds and weigh 500-900lbs. Dan

Ponce de Leon

Quote from: NSMoWandS on July 09, 2012, 09:21:27 AM
You mean like this?

I worked with a track supervisor that would call this a "didapper's nest" (pumping mud on both sides).
Ron Flanary

NSMoWandS

Quote from: Ponce de Leon on April 19, 2013, 09:51:59 PM
Quote from: NSMoWandS on July 09, 2012, 09:21:27 AM
You mean like this?

I worked with a track supervisor that would call this a "didapper's nest" (pumping mud on both sides).
It could pass for one of their nests! LOL! Dan

E.M. Bell

The picture over on the 1st page of this thread is pretty typical of CSX trackage I have seen in a LOT of place, wood or concrete. The sad fact is, that no matter what kind of tie you use, it wont be around very long without maintaining the roadbed itself. Water leads to mud, mud leads to pumpers, and there go your ties.

There was a Southern man that was once quoted as saying the secret to success in railroading was Drainage..Drainage, and then...Drainage! You have to have something solid to put those ties on, otherwise you might as well just use toothpicks!

You have to add new rock, tamp, run a ballast cleaner and clean your ditches often...if you dont do that, your asking for trouble. That is the place NS seems to get it right more often or not, although I can think of a few spots around here where the "mud volcanoes" are a sight to behold in wet weather. Watch a 60 mph stack track run over a soft spot and the mud and water is shooting 5 foot high out of those volcanoes!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

NSMoWandS

Quote from: E.M. Bell on April 21, 2013, 11:45:12 AM
The picture over on the 1st page of this thread is pretty typical of CSX trackage I have seen in a LOT of place, wood or concrete. The sad fact is, that no matter what kind of tie you use, it wont be around very long without maintaining the roadbed itself. Water leads to mud, mud leads to pumpers, and there go your ties.

There was a Southern man that was once quoted as saying the secret to success in railroading was Drainage..Drainage, and then...Drainage! You have to have something solid to put those ties on, otherwise you might as well just use toothpicks!

You have to add new rock, tamp, run a ballast cleaner and clean your ditches often...if you dont do that, your asking for trouble. That is the place NS seems to get it right more often or not, although I can think of a few spots around here where the "mud volcanoes" are a sight to behold in wet weather. Watch a 60 mph stack track run over a soft spot and the mud and water is shooting 5 foot high out of those volcanoes!
Your 100% correct EM! It's ALL about drainage! Water is the most destructive force to the roadbed. And, I will not say what RR that pic is from... but, it wasn't CSX... this time.  ;) Dan

steveiez

Does anyone have an idea of how much concrete is in one heavy duty tie?
Steve

steveiez

Concrete has become has high-tech as anything else gas become. Simply not a mixture of sand, gravel cement and water anymore, it now uses fiber mesh, different degrees of air entrainment, rebar and special mixes.

Today's concrete, as we all know is used in bridges, tunnels and other high stress applications.

I think with forestry becoming an issue with tree huggers, concrete ties are a good substitute.
Steve

WillD

Quote from: steveiez on June 07, 2013, 09:01:52 AM
think with forestry becoming an issue with tree huggers, concrete ties are a good substitute.

Yet the European tree huggers want to cut down American forests for "renewable energy" power plants.

Concrete has become a science.  I think they will eventually come up with concrete ties that work.

steveiez

Quote from: chipallen16 on April 15, 2013, 07:20:30 AM
Yay, a response to a 6-month old thread. Who said anything about deforestation...? I'm pretty sure the trees we have aren't going away...

-Chip

No, trees won't go away, it is the huggers who will make it an issue for the stopping of logging.
Steve

steveiez

I asked a MOW  man today if N/S was going to use concrete ties. He said no, due to them not being able to withstand heavy loads.

Amtrak and light rail are using them with good results, mainly because they are lighter consists.
Steve

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk