Old Depots

Started by lwjabo, May 06, 2011, 02:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwjabo

OK tonight I woke up and can't sleep. got to thinking about old Depots and stations in small towns. Going out of Chattanooga and DeButts Yard the first one I remember was the one at Ooltewah. Theyclosed it not long after the H line got TCT or as they say now TC. The trains to Cleveland and Knoxville picked up there orders at Cleveland. The old Cleveland was still there a few years ago. Just a place to change crews now with Tennessee and Georgia trains. There was a small one at Cohutta at the jct with the I line. Just west of the tracks at Wolf St. The old Depot at Dalton was still there even after I retired. The local and Yard crews now use a small building at the old pig track. The next one I remember was Shannon. It covered the wood yard at Sugarvalley and brick yard at Plainville along with the mill at Shannon. They built the new yard office at Forrestville and when they did they closed the old Rome Depot. The yard crews and locals use the old and new yard office. The old one has lockers for the crews. The next depot I remember was Rockmart. They were using it for the pusher crews when I retired. The next one was Dallas and was used by the signal department when I retired. There was one at Hiram but was closed. Think someone was using the building as a store the last time I was there. Austell. Both Georgia and Alabama crews picked up orders there. Mabelton had one.the building was sold and moved. It later caught fire. There was one at Chattahoochee but closed about the time I hired out. the platform still stands where the building was. Are any of the old depots still around in your areas?

steveiez

In the Pittsburgh Pa area with have a bunch. The ones that are being used for non railroad purposes are Beaver, Homestead, Washington, Coraopolis freight station, Sewickley, Tarentum Pa.
Steve

ARandall70

In eastern North Carolina, there are several, both on Norfolk Southern and CSX. In my home town, the local crew and some maintenence crews still work out of the old freight station built by the original Norfolk Southern Railway:

http://www.norfolksouthernhs.org/images/Structures/Fuquay-FreightStation.jpg

One of my favorite is in Chocowinity, NC. Still has the old lettering on the building, as well as the newer Southern Railway station sign. The picture is several years old but it still is in use.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=6745

The second is actually a yard office, but it has still survived and hasnt been replaced with a moble home. And it has alot of heritage.

Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70

Matt L

There are a bunch of old depots still standing in upstate NY. My personal favorite is the former depot of the Bath & Hammondsport RR, which sits on the waterfront in the town where I grew up.

Photo taken by me Saturday 4/23/2011 in Hammondsport, NY. The station had lcl service until 1982. The tracks in front of the station (to the left) were removed in 1984 and the tracks beind the station (to the right) were removed in 1997. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

This is an old B&O depot that sits next to the current mainline of the Rochester & Southern:

Photo taken by me Saturday 10/9/2010 in Leroy, NY. The depot is now a restaurant.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

This old Erie depot is still used by Norfolk Southern today.

Photo taken by me Sunday 10/17/2010 in Silver Spring, NY.

Matt L

This old Erie station is home to a couple of small businesses and a small RR musuem as well. NS freights pass the station 12-20 times per day, while the Western New York & Pennsylvania (WNYP) trains pass the station via trackage rights 2-4 days per week. 

Photo taken by me Thursday 8/20/2009 in Hornell, NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk