Quality GE Locomotives

Started by E.M. Bell, October 30, 2010, 09:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Ah..GE, keeping your local Fire Dept busy for decades..just because they can! 

NS 8362 on train 168 at Shelbyville, KY

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

blacksheep

yea, quality. about a month ago amtrak #19 had to stop down here on the ags becouse it's 2nd unit, #207, was on fire. they set it out and went on with one unit.

Badhorse79

GE
Gigantic Explosion
Gasly Exhaust
Great Explosions

Please feel free to add your own lol

steveiez

Saw one do the fireworks show one night in Glenfield Pa. Mack Truck once made an engine that did it on long hard pulls. It was a 711 diesel.

Why are these GE's so popular then?
Steve

E.M. Bell

Quote from: steveiez on October 30, 2010, 11:02:22 PM

#1 CHEAP
#2..I hear the AC works well, and they have great seats :)

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

E.M. Bell

I do miss the good ol C39's..they where always good for a show..case in point, NS 168 on Waddy Hill back in 2003.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

cmherndon

Quote from: E.M. Bell
#1 CHEAP
#2..I hear the AC works well, and they have great seats :)

I guess you have to keep cool somehow when your engine is on fire.
Caleb M. Herndon, KK4CDT
Frankfort, KY
http://www.cmherndon.com

"The human mind is like a railroad freight car; guaranteed to have a certain capacity, but often running empty."

steveiez

We see gangs of C 39'S around here. Seems to be a well used engine even on point of train. I still am an EMD kinda guy!
Steve

Matt L

Quote from: steveiez on October 30, 2010, 11:02:22 PM

They have a 4 cycle engine, which reduces fuel costs.

Second, EMD stumbled pretty badly with the GP50/SD50 series.

Third, GE has its own credit.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

steveiez

Steve

etalcos

Two things tend to ignite a GE:

1)  The fuel lines to each cylinder are external to the crankcase.  The low pressure supply is run in hoses and the high pressure to the injectors is in steel lines.  So when one springs a leak you get raw fuel sprayed on a hot exhaust manifold!

2)  The C-39s had injection issues -- I want to say they were the first ones to use electronic fuel injection.  Anyway, excess unburnt fuel going to the inside of the hot manifold = EB finding a good photo subject shooting flames out the stack.

My wife says GE = toaster.  Perhaps its more like toasted.

We're putting a couple of U-boats in service, so I'm having to remember some of the old GE tricks that I've tried hard to block out over the last 10 years...

Badhorse79

Just seen on the news that 8306 went up in flames today over in lockland Ohio (not to far from my house) Cooked it pretty good ... The news peeps said it was a CSX train but it was NS unfortunetly

ssw9662

Again? 8306 blew up near Harrisburg just a few weeks ago. It's a shame too because they had just repainted it.

NSDash9

The unit that burned was NS 8304, which had just been repainted.

Chris
Chris R. Toth

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk