MSTS Route "The Rathole"

Started by nsgelocos, July 22, 2009, 11:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsgelocos

I figure this would be a good place to mention that I am making a new route for MSTS, The Rathole, of course. I plan to run the trackage from C.P. Strange to the Interlocking north of S.J. Tower. I'm currently at the KY border at Silerville. I've had a lot of help so far. I plan to make a beta with the current trackage I have and go ahead and make the scenery for the route. I had a guy script a signal system to NS rules. I have the route based in the 90s' so the signals with be GRS searchlights and colorlights.  I have made signal gantries for the signals already and i'm working some cantilevers. The terrain was simple that a program i paid for that convert DEM (USGS Digital, Elevation, Models) did most of the work for me.
quick example of what DEM can do in sim, can anyone guess where this is?  :P

Here are a few photos.
C.P. Lancing

Model of the North of Tunnel 24

This is Oakdale, kind of an out-dated progress photo but just for show

Nemo overlooking tunnels 22 and 24

enjoy
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

Backyard

8) Answer to question "where's this" is Kings Mountain cut looking northbound.

DEM's make great routes for train simulators.

Keep up the good work.

Are you planning to upload the scenery items to Google Earth?
Backyard/Allen

NSyorktown

Wow, that's impressive!

I enjoyed replicating "the real Rathole" in HO scale, but your's looks far more complex.

http://jreb.org/ns/index.php?topic=129.msg6512#msg6512

Keep us posted . . . . we'll want to see the progress.

RDS

nsgelocos

thank you guys, as for the answer, Backyard, it's not Kings Mountain but the cuts south of Tateville.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=163087&nseq=6
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

Backyard

8)  I understand, the open-end of the cut is not like Kings Mt. 

What was the name of the utility you used to make the DEM?
Backyard/Allen

nsgelocos

I use a program called Demex from Digital Rails, they have a free trail but it has it's limitations. You can do an entire route's terrain with the trial version, but it will take some extra time with it's limitations. Not to mention I cannot get there home site to load.
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

E.M. Bell

How is the project coming along? 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

AD4YJ

I would love to be a beta tester for the route.
Paul
Paul
Co-Moderator ATCS Board

nsgelocos

So far, harriman jucntion to sillerville. I'm planning to start again on the trackage soon.
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

E.M. Bell

Sounds like a good winter project when its to cold to do anything else!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Southern6482

I cannot WAIT for this route! I'm a BIG MSTS user and have worn out the Pokey and Hook and Eye!

nsgelocos

I assure you all, you will not be dissapointed. Google sketch modeler has let me make models of the actual tunnels for the Route. want some pictures?
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

billworsham

Yes, bring on the teaser pics!!

nsgelocos

Here's a model of the vented tunnels you see on the district

Camp Austin from the south cantilever. I stay true to the 90s style Camp Austin with the cantilever to left side of the tracks looking north.

North Area of C.P. Camp Austin

C.W. Tower

Glenmary also has one signal bridge and one signal cantilever.

The Oneida Railyard looking north.
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

billworsham

WOW is all I can say!  What kind of help do you need on the project?

nsgelocos

Well in need people who what type of buildings there are along the line so it would make it easier trying to place buildings. lol
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

nsSD70M-2

Wow great work! I wish I could build routes like this...if I could I'd have the entire Piedmont Division made by now.  ;D

Southern6482

Can't wait to try this route! I'm a huge msts guy, run the Pokey all the time, so being able to run "home" rails is going to be great!!!!!!! Hope you'd consider modeling the first district next!

nsgelocos

I thought about doing the whole 338 mile long CNO&TP at one time, but I really want to model the rathole more.  Here's the plan, i'm going to release a beta of it at some point and i'm going to remake it, yet again, to fix some trackage  placement errors and grade errors along wtih a better terrain system.
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

nsgelocos

WELL! I'm back at it. I just got done laying the track from Woods to Kings Mountain, Ky. Looks like you guys might get to see the virtual Rathole  :) Pictures to come
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

billworsham

bring 'em on, still patiently watching and waiting...let us know what kind of help you need.

nsgelocos

Well I have finally finished Danville yard. I'm going to finish adding in the sidings soon and add signals and release a beta. Anyone interested?  8)

Above DV Tower

The wye

South Danville
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

E.M. Bell

Danville yard loos pretty much spot on..I never realized that clarks run creek (that gully at South Danville) was so dang deep :)

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

nsgelocos

Quote from: E.M. Bell on May 19, 2011, 09:34:01 PM
Danville yard loos pretty much spot on..I never realized that clarks run creek (that gully at South Danville) was so dang deep :)

that's actually a seam in the elevation data that I will fix later :)
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

billworsham

I would be interested in a beta version to help with some of the details.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk