scl

Started by sd40-2 hh, December 01, 2008, 08:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sd40-2 hh

can any one tell me what the GE loco with the big goofy cab is called?

scooter3798

BQ23-7. The Q stands for quarters. I believe that they were used to shuttle an extra crew in the the cab and also to get around the use of cabooses. Assuming that this is what you mean...

Scooter

Batman

only 10 built , i think.   all for SCL / Family Lines System.

sd40-2 hh

yea thats the one thanks

TM3358

Are any of those still active anywhere or have they all met the torch?

Batman

they are all gone.

Backyard

8)  So...the Seaboard Coast Line invented the Mother of All Wide-Cabs!

Back when the BQ23-7 was being designed, locomotive prices were rising almost daily.  The SCL in an effort to reduce costs, requested a locomotive cab that would replace the caboose.  Back then there were no EOT's & a red flag on the last knuckle was all that was required.  I'm not sure of the seating, but this locomotive definantly had a conductors desk.

The SCL tried to cut the number of handrail stanchions, therefore the abnormal spacing of these.  The Brotherhoods prevailed over this, siting the fact of accidents involving poor old tired worn-out L&N crew members falling off the Family Lines System L&N transfer cabooses under the handrailing, which brought about the addition of a railing mid-way under the hand railing on these cars.  Had those accidents not happened you would definantly see fewer handrail stanchions on SCL locomotives.

The cab of the BQ23-7 is made of ? inch steel & all windows all around which after the infamous U18B deaths force requirements for the corner windows to be welded over.  Typical back then, there was no significant roll-over protection implemented on these units.

As usual, the BQ & B23-7 locomotives were assigned priority freight & intermodal trains when new & the 2250hp rating did not help to win them acceptance!

These abnormalities resigned the BQ23-7 to trailing unit & local freight status...albeit you can see pics of them running on the head-end.

Backyard/Allen

scooter3798

CSX converted them to B units in the early 1990's. Most of them bit the dust shortly after that. I think the last one that remained active was the 3003, which I believe made it to late 1996 or early 97. I think Model Railroader did an article on these back in the early 80's or so. If I remember correctly I think in the article they had scale drawings as well as either a cab interior diagram or a picture of it, I'll see if I can find it. Good info by the way Backyard!

Scooter

scooter3798

I looked up the MR article and checked it out. It is the July 1983 issue and the article starts on page 72. Included in the article are three shots of the cab interior showing the control stand and also a view of the conductors desk (which is actually rear facing), and looking towards the front of the cab on the fireman's side. Also included are a set of scale drawings and a layout of the cab interior. Since the quarters cab was still being offered as an option when the article was written it also gives options that were available from GE on it, but were never built. If anybody doesn't have access to the article and they want to see it please PM me and I'll help you out.

Scooter

E.M. Bell

I would love to see that article, I have always wondered what the cab of those things looked like.

I saw a grand total of One BQ, leading a train into Evansville Indiana back in the early 90's.  The engine was ugly to start with, CSX paint didnt help...wonder what one of those things would have looked like in Southern paint :)

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

ssmith1627

Nah, that's ugly.  Southern colors ?  That'd just be lipstick on a pig.

Steve

stillbre

For a time there was several based out of Bostic for a while in the early 90s used for pool power.  CSX practice used to be to have a pair of 6-axle units bring the train down from Erwin to Bostic.  There a third unit would be added for the trip down the CN&L or across the Charlotte Sub to Hamlet.  All the BQs I ever saw had all the cab windows plated over.  Most never made it to CSX paint, being retired in Family Lines paint.
This brings me to ask, is the CSX forum on JREB still active?
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

etalcos

Quote from: ssmith1627 on December 03, 2008, 11:00:04 AM
Nah, that's ugly.  Southern colors ?  That'd just be lipstick on a pig.

Steve

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Now that was funny, I don't care who you are.................

Charlie

GAandFLA-RR

Quote from: E.M. Bell on December 02, 2008, 10:53:35 PM
wonder what one of those things would have looked like in Southern paint :)

And running long hood forward........yuck.

I grew up living right by the old SAL's Montgomery - Savannah main and remember seeing these things once in a while when I was a kid.  They were never used in the lead, or at least not when I saw them.  Always saw them in the Family Lines scheme before Georgia Central took over operations......
Jared

NS car inspector
Long live the G&F
LONG HOOD FORWARD FOREVER

NW_611

Quote from: Backyard on December 02, 2008, 03:18:54 AMThe cab of the BQ23-7 is made of ? inch steel & all windows all around which after the infamous U18B deaths force requirements for the corner windows to be welded over.  Typical back then, there was no significant roll-over protection implemented on these units.
Sorry this is so late, but what gives with the welded windows? I noticed the shift in the Withers N&W second generation diesel book, but I don't recall an explanation. I would have thought that increased visibility was more safe, but obviously not.

Thanks.

stillbre

The welded up windows were a cost-cutting measure.  The FRA decided some time in the 70s that all cab windows must have bullet proof glass installed in them.  Most railroads decided that sheet steel was cheaper than bullet proof glass and plated over the extra windows.  Those small extra windows on many U-Boats didn't provide enough additional visibility to really be of concern.
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

Khartoum

It looked halfway decent in the family lines scheme, but that csx, EGADS!!!!!!!!!

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

you would have thought one might have been saved but the more I look at these beasts Im starting to see why none were!!!
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk