Question about Trackage near I-71 in Ky.

Started by R Federle, May 16, 2007, 10:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Federle

Hello group,

I have a question and I'm not sure if the line in question is a Norfolk Southern line or other. I am formerly from Hamilton Ohio. I have lived and worked in Louisiana for nearly 30 years. We make frequent trips to Hamilton and therefore travel along I-71 to I-75.

There is a rail line (near New Castle Kentucky, I believe) that exits a tunnel visible from the interstate (I-71). The times I have traveled this hiway I have yet to see any traffic but I am curious to know what line this is and who it belongs to (i.e. NS, CSX or whoever)?

The second part of the question, are any videos / DVD's available for this particular line?

Thanks to all in advance for any info and assistance. I appreciate it.

Robert Federle

nscnotp1

If it is the one that parallels the interstate, it is owned by CSX Transportaiton. It would be the LCL Subdivision that runs between Louisville and Latonia. This line sees about 10-15 trains a day.

Hope this helps.  :)

R Federle

Thanks Buddy,

Sounds like that might be the one. The tunnel is on the South side of I-71. Just out of the tunnel (to the East) appears to be a short trestle and a retaining wall and appears to be very well maintained.

Robert Federle

butch

Robert,

The tunnel you can see from I-71 just west of the English exit is the old Mill Creek Tunnel.  It was by-passed in the early 90s I think.  There was also another tunnel visible from I-71 as you cross the bridge just west of the Campbellsburg exit.  When it was by-passed, the entrances were covered up and you can only find them by looking through the bushes.  There were actually six tunnels on the LCL.  The third one was Eagle Tunnel on the Gallatin-Grant County line.  It was just daylighted last year after a partial collapse.  There was also Hogs Run Tunnel near Zion Station, but it was by-passed and covered up, probably in the 60s.  The last two tunnels were back-to-back just before the bridge over Banklick Creek in Independence.  They were daylighted in the early 60s as well.  They were more well known because of the photo opportunities the bridge provided. 

I will risk NS heresy and post L&N Magazine covers of the bridge and tunnel and some pictures I have taken.  The top cover is a train coming out of Tunnel 6 and across Banklick Creek.  The second cover is a train winding through the cuts where Tunnels 5 & 6 were located.  The shot is from over the Tunnel 6 cut and the back of the train is coming out of the Tunnel 5 cut.  The pictures are the by-passed Tunnel 1, which is buried on the left of the cut.  The west side of the Mill Creek Tunnel which is not visible from the highway.  Bricks in the side of the daylighted Tunnel 5 cut which are still visible.  The eastern portal of Eagle Tunnel after it was cleaned up from the cave-in.  The cut that by-passed Hogs Run Tunnel ,which is buried on the left of the cut.  And a look through the daylighted Tunnel 6 cut to the bridge from the first magazine cover.

Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

R Federle

The one I refer to is still in service (and not daylighted). I was passing that way in early April and caught a glimpse of a train but could not see the head end. It is well maintained roadbed (from what I could see from the interstate). I could be wrong but the location I believe is near (with in a few miles or so) of the Fatal Bus Crash marker.

Robert Federle

butch

Here's a picture of the Mill Creek Tunnel  portal that faces I-71.   You can see the active tracks going around it.
Butch Adkins

R Federle

Thanks Butch,

I dont recall a cut next to it. I think what I may have to do is try and get a shot of it next time I go up which will be the first part of July.

The one in question does not face I-71 directly but runs more parallel. It is in a curve and eastbound (I-71) runs slightly downgrade. The track level does not drop as much as the highway.

If I can get a shot of it I'll post it and will try again.

I do appreciate the effort.

Robnert Federle

R Federle

Hello all,

Been away for a while and back offshore again.

I got back from Ohio recently and I had posed the question before. I said I would try to grab a photo of the Tunnel in question and further details. Well here is the info.

Westbound on I-71 toward Louisville it is at mile marker 39 - 40. the exit just after the location is Bedford - New Castle and is either Trimble or Henry County. I am attaching a photo but dont holler at me. It was taken on the fly. I would like to know (again) if anyone knows if this is CSX, NS or who? Also does anyone know if there any Videos / DVD's of this line.

Thanks in advance to all. Have a great day (night) as well.

Robert Federle

butch

Robert,

That is the Mill Creek Tunnel mentioned in the previous posts.  Is is former L&N, now CSX.  It  is often refered to as the LCL or Short Line.  Two forums that would probably be of  interest are:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/KentuckyRailfan/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lnrr/

ba

Butch Adkins

R Federle

Thanks Butch,

If that is the one and the tracks have been routed just outside the tunnel, when was that done? I have seen trains (just not motive power) entering / exiting the portal although the last one I caught was about two years ago.

Robert

butch

Got to think it was an optical illusion if it was only a couple of years ago.  I'm pretty sure the realignment was done early 90s.

ba
Butch Adkins

R Federle

I believe you're right Butch,

I went back and looked at the two photos and I can see similarities in your photo and mine from the highway. The sign on the right of the entrance is one and part of the rock face.

The thing is while driving you cant get as good a look as you might want so that is the one.

Is it accessible off the interstate and how easy? Do you know if any DVD's or video's of this line are available?

Robert

butch

Robert,

Get off I-75 at the English exit and take the road that parallels the interstate.  There is a private crossing as you get close to where that road goes under the highway, but I haven't checked it out.  I made my trip by going under the interstate and then taking a left on another road that goes back under I-75 and follows the tracks.  About a half mile or so there is a little pull off on the left that goes up to the tracks.  I hiked back from there.  If you really want to have some fun, we can hook up some Saturday and I'll show you all six former tunnel locations on the LCL-three have been daylighted and three have been by-passed.

ba
Butch Adkins

beaufortlocal

The second part of the question, are any videos / DVD's available for this particular line?

Green Frog Productions
CSX-Volume 4-Louisville to Cincinnati

R Federle

Thank you very much beaufortlocal,

I appreciate the reply and I think I'll check this video out. There is so much thats available you could read descriptions of videos for quite a while trying to sort out what you need. Thanks again for saving me soem time.

I also see ou are new so let me take this opportunity to welcome you aboard. This group has been very helpful and I have enjoyed being here although it has not been very long. I believe you will like it here.

Thansk again and welcome. Have a good afternoon.

Robert Federle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk