Microsoft Train Simulator, version Two?

Started by Knothead, January 23, 2007, 08:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knothead

Hoydie17

Interesting, especially considering MS had expressed displeasure in how poorly received the original was.  When I say poor reception, I refer to the fact that the software didn't really take off quite like flight simulator did.  (no pun intended)

MSTS was well received amongst railfans and the few people that picked it up in the WalMart 9.95 basket, but it didn't quite develop a following with anyone but the aforementioned.

Must be MS saw that Auran, and Australian company was taking away their American dollars with TRAINZ and decided to get back into it. 

That said, it'll be interesting to see if this is an improvement over the original.

Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

JCagle

Maybe they'll actually focus more on classic American stuff in this one.  I'd like to see them develop some classic American power (better steam and other vintage power) and something like the CNOTP or some of the old lines. They seemed to take this approach with some versions of Flightsim. With the leaps in computers in the last 7 years they could do some major things with it. Of course rumor had it several years ago that they were developing a new version and it didn't pan out. Maybe they feel it's time to catch up with technology. There's a link to a feeback form on the site be sure to give them your input!
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

Tristan Garrett

I used to be a MSTS junkie, so here's my two cents:

I remember reading that Train Artisan had made a whole bunch of equipment for 'MSTS 2' that was incredibly realistic. I don't remember what it was now, but it could have easily passed for a photo of the real thing. IIRC, MS canceled the program before MSTS 2 had really even begun. I think Hoydie has got it here that Microsoft (derisive nickname shall be spared here) decided to get back into it when they saw Auran and company making out with that part of the sim market.

From what very little I've read, my assumption is that MSTS 2 will be built around the Flight Simulator engine and codebase and not that of MSTS 1.2. Every existing third-party MSTS addon was written for version 1.2 or earlier; unless MS decides to hard-code backward compatibility into the game (which, if they want to reclaim part of that market, they have every reason to do) or the new code is simply compatible with old addons, they will not work in MSTS 2.

While on that topic, MS made a brilliant move by including a SDK (software [or as they put it, sim] development kit), which allowed people to make their own everything, in version 1. It's basically guaranteed that they will do so in version 2.

Quote from: jbcagle7073Maybe they'll actually focus more on classic American stuff in this one.  I'd like to see them develop some classic American power (better steam and other vintage power) and something like the CNOTP or some of the old lines.

Considering that the game will almost definitely be distributed on DVD media, I'm pretty sure that the route and power selection will be much wider and of a much higher quality than before. I don't think many people were thrilled to find out in 2001 that the only drivable American freight locomotives were orange engines. MS will probably hit upon a few old American lines and add some older diesel power (think GP30, SD9, RS3, etc). I don't know what they'll do for steam, though. Never count out the third-party developers either; a lot of their stuff blew away the MS stock.

I'm not holding my breath, but the sole screenshot I've seen looks like it may potentially lead to a fun game.

TG

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk