Want to live by the tracks?

Started by Michael Knight, May 18, 2006, 03:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Knight

New apartments for rent right along the NS Knox-Chatt. main line; and some 700 ft. from the CSX KD sub. On the NS side, the closest units are being built some 350 ft. from the West End Two Tracks where the double track from Sevier Yd. becomes single before crossing the CSX diamond at Willoughby. This is a busy meeting point for trains in Knoxville, complete with several yard tracks for interchange with CSX. This property was all once the Forest Ave. Produce Market, a wholesale produce market and related businesses.

It's a pity the soon to be residents probably won't appreciate all that rail action.

Thinking of renting one? They are not cheap!!  :P

For more info and pics click on this link.
http://www.crownepartners.com/findproperty/11tennessee/campuspointe/plans.html

Notice they don't show the railroad tracks in any of their pictures nor do they mention the heavy industries that border the development.  :lol:

E.M. Bell

I cant imagine any high priced housing in that area. It would be heaven for watching trains..CSX mainline and the branch to ameristeel, The NS main, the KXHR line..but thats a rather dank and dark part of town. When I was working in Knoxville a few years ago, we got shot at in that general area on night. The round shattered the cab window and scared me and my conductor to death. Thank god for FRA glazing in the windows!

Is the old connection from the RFE branch (KXHR) to the NS main still there just past Willoughby?
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Michael Knight

Quote from: E.M. BellIs the old connection from the RFE branch (KXHR) to the NS main still there just past Willoughby?

No Emmett, the rail was pulled up about two years ago.

Upon closer examination this morning, I discovered I've been a bit liberal in judging the distances to the tracks. It's more like 250 ft. to NS, and 450 ft. to CSX. Another round of units are planned to be built only forty ft. from the NS tracks.

E.M. Bell

I figured that connection was gone by now...NS had been talking about removing it every since the KXHR took over the RFE line.  IN my time in Knoxville, I only saw that piece of track used twice..once when we had to skirt a derailment by using the NS from City Yard to there to accses the RFE, and the Two weekends we ran the Amtrak specials from the riverfront to Ashville. I just may have been the last engineer to take a train over that, when I took the deadhead amtrak equipment out to Sevier yard after those trips!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Michael Knight

I remember seeing those Amtrak specials but never knew what they were (pre scanner days). Learn something new everyday!

I wish I could have photographed some of the NS action on the RFE line. While I've been interested in trains for years, I only began to take pictures after NS sold it. :(

Michael Knight

Better hurry, with the fall semester at UT Knoxville approaching, the units are being rented quick. :P

Michael Knight

Here is a link to a photograph taken from the pool at Campus Pointe. Train 707 is shown in the background at the West End Two Tracks.

JCagle

Wow railfanning and bikinis by the pool with some cold beer..... that's quite a combination. As for the gunshot taken by EB's unit there.... It's a wonder they hit it since you know they were shooting it sideways "thug style"
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk