Name for Train Logging Site?

Started by csx6900, December 06, 2012, 10:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csx6900

Hi all-

Progress on my train logging website (see this topic for more information: http://www.jreb.org/ns/index.php?topic=13550.0) is coming along nicely.  Originally, I had named the website TrainLogs.com, but as it turns out, the name is already taken.  So, I'm opening it up to everyone.

Any ideas for a domain name?  Short and simple is preferred.  But here's a few I came up with.  Feel free to comment on them or add your own.  It's not guaranteed that any of my ideas (or yours) aren't already taken, so even if there's a popular vote, it may not be available.  Still, I'm open to anything!

TrainTracker.com
RailLogs.com
RailRecords.com
TrainRecords.com

Feel free to throw a few out there!  Thanks in advance!

-Evan
Owner and Administrator of RailSightings.com

chipallen16

Badhorse79

E. Hodgson

csx6900

Lol, we just can't win, can we? Oh well, here's a few more:

RailData.com (one of my preferred options... Is it available Eric?)
RailReference.com

I should mention to everyone that Eric (EHodgson) has been a fantastic help through this whole process and I'd like to thank him for it. :)

A big thanks also goes out to those of you who have given input and helped support the project as I get it rolling, even if it's something as simple as helping to pick out a domain name. Thanks guys!

-Evan

Badhorse79

E. Hodgson

Raildata.com is actually owned by BNSF appears to have nothing attached to it though, but at last can't buy it.

railreference.com is taken as well some Korean Company...

TrackaTrain.com is available.

You can check domains via If it says available i can obtain it for you. I will work on this tonight.

Eric

Quote from: csx6900 on December 07, 2012, 09:15:27 AM
Lol, we just can't win, can we? Oh well, here's a few more:

RailData.com (one of my preferred options... Is it available Eric?)
RailReference.com

I should mention to everyone that Eric (EHodgson) has been a fantastic help through this whole process and I'd like to thank him for it. :)

A big thanks also goes out to those of you who have given input and helped support the project as I get it rolling, even if it's something as simple as helping to pick out a domain name. Thanks guys!

-Evan

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

Is there one called "the Dispatcher"? That sounds neat to me.
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

Badhorse79

Well.I just typed it in to the browser and it doesn't seem to be anyones "yet" so hey the dispatcher it should be

E. Hodgson

My bad i noticed i never posted a link to check domains http://www.checkdomain.com/ just because a page doesn't show up in a browser does not guarantee availability, I own 16 domains 3 of which have a page. Many people buy place holders years in advance or just to sell at a later date.

csx6900

Thanks guys!

I've got one!

RailSightings.com is the only half-decent available domain name I've been able to find.  How does it sound?

Can you get it please, Eric?

-Evan

Ptrainman

Had not see this thread. I think this would be a great idea and that name sounds good Evan.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

E. Hodgson

I will take care of it in the morning all will be prepared for you by mid day good sir!

csx6900

Thanks for the input, everyone!

RailSightings.com it is!  (Courtesy of my dad)

Thank you very much, Eric!  I hope to have at least the home page up and running by tomorrow night.  Not holding my breath though...

-Evan

billworsham

Is there a possibility of iphone/ipad application so we can use it out at the tracks?

csx6900

Quote from: billworsham on December 09, 2012, 12:06:05 PM
Is there a possibility of iphone/ipad application so we can use it out at the tracks?

Yes sir, there is a very good chance of that.  My dad is currently learning how to create smart phone apps, so whenever we get the site itself up and running, we'll start work on an app.  Don't be surprised if it's some time off though.  This project is on no strict timeline, so things are progressing only as I have the time to work on it.

-Evan

E. Hodgson

Feedback on how the site is running on a brand new host for me with some new software from Hostgator so feed back on use age (speed wise, errors, general loading times) would be a big help to me. I am trying a few new companies out for some cheaper VPS, Dedicated, and colocation services out. Also the first run with CPanel so feedback from you Evan would be great on how easy it was for you to pick up CPanel and ease of use to you.

Eric

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk