A 4000 HP rolling tribute, NS Veterans unit 6920 on the CNO&TP.

Started by E.M. Bell, April 28, 2013, 05:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

After spending the last couple of weeks busy with work (and burning up the roads after trains) I had planned to stay around the house yesterday (Saturday 04/27/13)...it was dark, stormy and otherwise craptastic as far as the weather was concerned. I slept in a bit, and after I got up and motivated, I noticed a message from Brian Sellars saying that the NS 6920 Veterans unit was leading train 179..so much for staying around the house. After Brian was able to confirm the unit was on the train, I started trying to figure out how it would all play out. 

Just before noon, the train was still just North of Cincinnati, and I figured it would probably be several hours getting down to me. The outbound crew was not called until 1215, but for once the CNO&TP was running like it should  and 179 got an almost perfect trip South.  Mr. Owens and I made our way over to Burgin, and didn't have to wait very long for him to show up.  After a quick stop in Danville Ky for fuel, it was off the races, and we had a hard time keeping up as we followed them South. 179 had a short train, clear signals and plenty of power for the hills...we had wet roads and a multitude of slow driving blue hairs to contend with. While I had only figuring on getting a couple of shots around Danville, we wound up going all the way to Burnside...funny how that seems to happen a lot :)

This was the first time I had seen this particular unit, and must say it looks better in person than in the pictures I have seen. I am a very patriotic person by nature, and I think its a great thing NS has done to help honor those who have served and given all they had to give to keep us free and safe. The heritage units are great, but the 6920 is even better to me..a 4000 HP rolling tribute!

Even with the bad weather, we came away with some decent shots. The clouds actually helped by allowing us to shoot a few places that would have not been possible that late in the day.  Thanks to Brian and everyone else who helped keep track of this move!

Below are a few of my favorites, and you can find rest of them by clicking this link >>>  http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/nsheritage_2013_eb

"A 4000hp rolling tribute to those who keep us free" An angry sky and the promise of rain loom above Junction City as Southbound train 179 leaves Danville with the Veterans unit, NS 6920 leading. This was the first time this unit had made an appearance on the CNO&TP, and it certainly brightened up an otherwise gloomy day.

179 tops over at Kings Mountain KY with a light rain falling.

The bottom of Northbound 170 clears our train just in the nick of time at the intermediate signals at "Southern States" on the North side of Somerset Ky. You can see the new signal bridge that has been installed here within the last 2 weeks, ready for the day it will be cut in.

The 6920 sits at Burnside Ky during a quick crew change just before dark.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Ptrainman

Great shots EM. That unit stands out even in bad weather. Yall boys out in KY get all the luck. I didnt like this paint scheme at first but its starting to grow on me.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

thpbears

billworsham

That new signal bridge has been there for months..Jacob & I shot there a few months ago.  It was at this location when I first started feeling the sentiments of the numbered days these old searchlights have.

Notch8nskate

That makes three this year I have missed on a Saturday. Problem is I haven't seen this one and the light wasn't bad early on the Dayton District. Ouch. Still yet these cloudy pics show digital SLR's at their best. I honestly believe this is the ideal setting for them.

Badhorse79

You can't put words to EMs photos ^^^^^case in point ^^^^^
Great shots

dschlegel

Beautiful! I've only seen this one in the rain at night and from a block away. Your shots really bring out the color in this beautiful paint job!
Dan

chipallen16

EM, did you shoot those with manual white balance? I know that'll make color pop like crazy if done well! These look really good.

-Chip  :)

E.M. Bell

Thanks for the comments guys. 

Chip, I almost always shoot manual everything, but the White Balance is on auto. That function is not quickly changed, and any issues can be correct in post processing. With that said, the colors you see on the 6920 are pretty much the way they are...I didn't bump up the saturation any on these shots..no need to. Bright paint and the rain really made it pop. 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

PGupton

I think the clouds did ya a favor, those colors really pop! Nice shooting E.M.

chipallen16

I went out this morning and set my white balance to the dark gray ballast after yesterday's rain. Needless to day, the colors still stand out after the ballast is dry. I could post-process, but it's not necessarily that easy with video.

-Chip  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk