4 days, 4 Heritage units in 3 states

Started by E.M. Bell, February 26, 2013, 07:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

The past week or so has been about the best "Heritage hunting" we have ever had around here...so far. We have had them on coal trains, intermodals and slop freights...leading, trailing, and on the bottom as DPU..

Saturday 02/17/13, Adam Wells and myself left Jreb world HQ early and headed South to Oneida TN in search of the Southern 8099.  It had came in from Chattanooga a couple of days before on an empty coal train, which loaded on the old Tennessee RR at Devonia TN, the first train to load on that remote branch in well over a year. Getting up early paid off, as the 8099 was on the North end of the loaded train, and the light was only good for the first couple of hours after sunrise.

Friday 02/23/13 saw 3 heritage moves in Central Ky. Central Georgia 8101 was the leader on train 229, DL&W 1074 was the leader on train 22A, and Wabash 1070 was trailing on 111.  I decided to not bother leaving work for the 229 and 22A, as the weather was pure crap, and I didnt feel like taking the time away from the office for clouds. Later that afternoon, I did manage to catch the Wabash unit on 111 near home (and after the sun finally came out)

Saturday 02/24/13, the Lackawanna 1074 came back out of Louisville on train 23G, working as the DPU on the bottom. Carmon and I went out and spent the afternoon following that good looking rear around a bit, and I finally got a shot of Heritage unit at my favorite place in Harrodsburg KY. It was different shooting the REAR of a train, but it worked out well in the end...if the 1074 had been leading, the sun would have been all wrong in most places.

Sunday 02/25/13 I was up early (again) and headed West to Indiana to meet up with Caleb to follow the S&A 1065 back towards Danville KY. The 1065 was leading train I-23, which was 8800 feet of empty stack cars. It took some work to figure out locations that would look good with 1 engine and all of those empties, but we had a good day out in the perfect sun, and it was great to shoot a engine wearing a Tux on the Southern again..

I have a LOT more material to sort through from these trips and a couple of other, but have all of the Heritage stuff processed and up on Pbase if you care to look. Follow this link for 20 or so new images from the past week. >>>>>  http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/nsheritage_2013_eb

Here are a few teasers..

Southern 8099 at Oneida TN 02/17/13

Northbound train 142 passes the 8099 at the North end of the yard at Oneida

Friday afternoon 02/22/13, Wabash 1070 plays Second fiddle to a ratty old GE on train 111 at Vanarsdale KY

Saturday 02/23/12 Lackawanna 1074 on the rear of train 23G at Vanarsdale KY

The 1074, framed by the stone fences at West Talmage, KY

23G winds long the banks of Town Branch creek through Harrodsburg KY

Sunday 02/24/13  S&A 1065 leads train I-23 across the bridge on the West side of Georgetown Indiana.

The 1065 eases I-23 down Duncan Hill, passing a set of old Southern Searchlight signals just West of New Albany Indiana.  Those old signals dont have much time left in service, and the new installation is up and ready to be cut in.

After meeting train 22A, the 1065 struggles to get I-23 on the move again out of the siding at East Tucker, KY

8800 feet of empty stacks cars fly over the crossing at Convoy KY, as Caleb does something odd and disturbing with his face and hands...don't reckon he even knew I took this...until now :)

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Matt L

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

NSMoWandS

butch

I agree with Matt L, it is pretty much perfectly centered and a lot harder to do than you would think.
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

thpbears

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk