BNSF joy ride

Started by Knothead, December 07, 2005, 10:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knothead

http://www.ble.org/pr/news/headline.asp?id=15079

Short train ride ends in court

(The following article by Theresa Wickens was posted on the North Platte Telegraph website on December 7.)

NORTH PLATTE, Neb. -- The two are accused of entering a Burlington Northern-Santa Fe locomotive on Nov. 11, and moving it 40 feet down the tracks.

According to the complaint, Kent D. Sonneman, 31, and Daren J. Hall, 24, both of North Platte, detached a locomotive from the cars it was coupled to, entered the unoccupied BNSF locomotive, engaged the throttle and moved it approximately 40 feet. The incident occurred east of Thedford.

An investigation by BNSF resulted in the men being charged with felony criminal mischief, which could result in a fine of up to $10,000 and up to five years incarceration. They were also charged with misdemeanor trespassing, because they allegedly entered onto private BNSF property. That charge can result in a fine of up to $500, and up to 90 days in jail.

Sonneman and Hall will be back in Thomas County Court Tuesday, Jan. 3, 2006, for a preliminary hearing. They were released on personal recognizance.

Three other Lincoln County residents were also in Thomas County Court Tuesday to address charges of trespassing in connection with the Nov. 11 incident.

Tierney J. Witt, 22, of Maxwell, Kylee Hall, 23, North Platte and Trevor Hall, 29, also of North Platte, were each charged with one count of trespassing. All three waived their right to an attorney and pled guilty to the charges.

Kylee Hall said the incident happened between Thedford and Halsey and they did not have permission to be there. The incident did not occur at a crossing.

Before County Court Judge Kent Florom passed sentence, Trevor Hall said he was the driver of the pickup and "it was a really stupid thing to do."

"I was fired by Union Pacific three days after the incident happened," Trevor Hall said.

He told the judge he had worked for UP for six years and now, with two small children at home, he is unemployed.

"I'm sorry for what I did," Trevor Hall said.

The Halls and Witt each paid a $200 fine and $44 in court costs.

jcmark4501

"I was fired by Union Pacific three days after the incident happened," Trevor Hall said.

Best quote EVER!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk