EBay bans switch key auctions, Foamers go ballistic

Started by E.M. Bell, November 15, 2006, 08:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Get ready..here comes a EB rant...

The ever popular online auction site Ebay recently announce that Railroad switch keys in all forms are now prohibited for auction.  While the great majority of these items that have been sold there are historical items (ie..Adlake ect) keys and locks, I have seen examples of CURRENT issue keys on there a few times. That frankly scared me, as those are items that simple should not be in public hands. Any current issue key from any RR that could have been on there HAD to be stolen..period, and I shuddered to think what could have happened if they wound up in the wrong hands.  While I am sure that the Ebay decision to ban these items comes from direct pressure from the Railroads, the FRA and so on, I still applaude them for making the right decision.

With that said, I must admit that there are legitimate collectors out there who used that site to buy and sell historical items that where no longer in use. I myself have several old Southern, K&IT CNO&TP keys and locks, but as I said, these are old and haven't been used in decades, and where obtained from legit sources.    Citing that they are not "experts" on such things, the auction site put an across the board ban on them, CYA at it finest, but still the right move. 

When the news of this ban reached some of the other Railroad mailing list and forums, the fans went nuts. While there are a lot of folks that feel the same about this as I do, it seems the majority of them seemed almost outraged that it had happened. I was amazed at the responses I read at a couple of places, and felt compelled to put my Two cents in on the subject (very out of character for me) only to be flamed by these foaming idiots who are citing that there "civil liberties" and so on and so forth have been attacked. I guess these people have never seen what a bad train derailment  looks like, Have friends that work on the railroad who's personal safety is protected by switches being locked ect, or realize just how dangerous the job really is. I get overly frustrated at some of these "friends of the Railroad" and their actions, and I swear this has put me over the top. There are a couple of places on the web that you wont find me at ever again because of this stupidity.

Im very thankful that the group of users we have here at JREB seem to have their heads on straight and we dont have to put up with this kind of BS. I have said that many times in the past, and everytime I visit some of those other sites, Im glad to come back here..

If you want a good chuckle, check out this link...have a good read.  http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15632

Putting the soapbox away now..rant over...carry on.. 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

nscnotp1

I just came from one of those "forums" and man, talk about going ballistic.
I think eBay  made the right decision. Remember we live in a post 9/11 era here.

JCagle

It sounds like by the way they reacted that EBay created an act of legislation banning personal posession. The people that are saying personal liberties aren't thinking of the fact that EBay is a private enterprise, and to not be able to ban the sale of  any item would be a violation of Ebay's rights. The beautiful thing about a free enterprise market (but also scary in this instance) is the face that if you don't like the practices of company a you can always take your business to company b.  Usually when someone screams civil liberties violation they don't have a leg to stand on. Of course these are the same  people that would sue if they were injured because of any action resulting from their posession or use of such items.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

cmherndon

Oh my goodness.  The stupidity of some people is just amazing.

First of all, it seems as though they fail to realize that ebay is a PRIVATE BUSINESS and can place restrictions on what can be sold there.  I also think they made the right move.  It's like you said, EB, the result could be catastrophic if these items fell into the wrong hands.  There's nothing wrong with this, as it is in the interests of safety.  It's something the foam crew can't seem to realize.

Civil liberties being violated?  Give me a break.  That has to be the most asinine thing I have ever read.  A private entity telling you that you can't something is far from violating one's civil liberties.  Let's say that you wanted to set up something in my front yard and sell your wares out of it.  IF I told you that you couldn't, would that be a violation of your civil liberties?  Hardly.  Some of these people have a huge problem of opening their mouth (or in this case typing) before they think.  Maybe one day, they'll overcome their rectal-cranial inversion.

QuoteIm very thankful that the group of users we have here at JREB seem to have their heads on straight and we dont have to put up with this kind of BS. I have said that many times in the past, and everytime I visit some of those other sites, Im glad to come back here..

I will second that.  We have a great bunch here, and it's actually possible to have civil discussion.  I want to say thanks to all who participate for doing your part in keeping it civil.
Caleb M. Herndon, KK4CDT
Frankfort, KY
http://www.cmherndon.com

"The human mind is like a railroad freight car; guaranteed to have a certain capacity, but often running empty."

J 484 fan

I had mentioned to E.B yesterday about that Amtrak disaster down south about 7 years or so ago. I think it might have been the Cresent Limited. It was coming out of Florida if I remember correctly and I think it derailed in Alabama. Investigations had shown that someone had pulled something like 20 spikes out of the tracks in the section where it derailed. Now just imagine an idiot like that getting his or her hands on a set of turn keys. As I mentioned must have been a bunch of stinking bleedin hearts that flamed E.B for his comments to their whining about rights being violated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk