Late summer flashback in western NY

Started by Matt L, October 23, 2010, 11:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveiez

These are great shots of an area that was once so strong in manufacturing. I remember very clearly when Bethlehem Steel was like a city and Republic also. These pictures taken on a grey day matches the demise of this once powerful place. I even find it hard to believe there are any trains running except for those import stack ones.
Steve

Matt L

I hear ya- Buffalo's manufacturing base is a shadow of its former glory days. Even so, there are still a couple steel mills in the greater Buffalo area plus an assortment of small factories. The NS local at Buffalo Creek Junction probably took some of those boxcars to a couple of industries in Hamburg. The B&P services one of the steel mills and a Ford plant (that makes trucks) on the former South Buffalo. Buffalo Southern has a really wild mix of customers- everything from an ethanol plant to a tire compay to a natural gas dealer... plus interchange traffic with the New York & Lake Erie south of town. CSX has a couple clusters of customers on the north side of the metro area. Thankfully, some folks in/near Buffalo  carry on. They have my utmost respect.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

P.S. Thanks for the kind words about my photos!  8)
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk