Vacation 2010 shots

Started by Matt L, September 24, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I grew up in the Southern Tier of upstate NY and still have family there... so I usually take my summer vacation there. Three days were spent trackside and/or on a train. Let's start with CP Cass. It's a former Erie/EL junction and one of my favorite spots to railfan.

When I arrived, the MOW crew was working on the tracks.

Photo taken by me Friday 8/20/2010 in Hornell, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

A Jordan Spreader was also working on the tracks:

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

This cherry picker was cleaning up loose rail:

Matt L

Around mid-day, the MOW was temporarily halted to let a pair of trains pass through the interlocking. The first train was an eastbound mixed freight:

Matt L

The leading SD60M, #6764, is on home rails... as she was built for Conrail.

Matt L

The trailing unit was one of several BNSF locomotives I saw that day.

Matt L

I caught the tail end of the eastbound mixed freight as I headed up to West Street... so I could set up for train #2.

Matt L

The westbound freight is 22K, a real hotshot that runs from Ayer, MA, to Chicago daily. It did pause briefly so the cherry picker could finish cleaning up the loose rail near the tracks.

Matt L

With the cherry picker out of the way, 22K headed through the interlocking at CP Cass:

Matt L

NS 9322, a GE C40-9W, was the first of 4 locomotives powering 23K. I liked the mix of wide cabs and standard cabs.

Matt L

NS symbol freight 23K crossing West Street:

Matt L

Both of the standard cab locomotives on 22K, including #8673, were GE C39-8Es:

Matt L

As we saw in a previous photo, 22K had auto racks up front. However, its special status as part of the Pan  Am Southern operation guarantees most runs also have stacks and/or TOFC in the mix.

Matt L

After 22K passed, the MOW work continued in the Hornell-Canisteo area during the afternoon. With the Southern Tier Mainline effectively closed, it gave me a golden opportunity to scout out a new location to watch NS. I eventually settled on a crossing in thr Canisteo River valley which was just east of a passing siding. Sure enough, an eastbound NS freight entered the siding shortly after 5 PM... and then stopped.

Photo taken by me Friday 8/20/2010 in West Cameron, NY.  

Matt L

With the eastbound freight being halted, I figured a westbound freight had to be approaching. This guess was soon rewarded by the sound of a train rumbling through the Canisteo River valley. I was also lucky to be catching the freight at the west of end of Rattlesnake Curve as it came into view:

Matt L

Crossing Canisteo River Road:

Matt L

Rattlesnake Curve, which is to the east of the Canisteo River Road crossing, is well known to Erie, EL and CR fans.

Matt L

Given the time of day, I am assuming the westbound mixed freight was probably 12T.

Matt L

12T and the eastbound freight train meet at the passing siding.

Matt L

After 12T passed, the eastbound freight got under way again.

Matt L

The eastbound freight crosses Canisteo River Road:

Matt L

In contrast to the other trains I saw that day, the eastbound freight was led by an EMD- SD70M #2608.

Matt L

There were also two BNSF units on the eastbound NS freight:

Matt L

Since the tracks were closed during the afternoon, I figured the eastbound freight was probably 13T... the daily run between Bison Yard (Buffalo) and Allentown.

Matt L

After 13T passed, I decided to chase it east to Gang Mills. This was no easy task- sonce the Southenr Tier Mainline has a speed limit of 40-50mph and the Canisteo River Road has a speed limit varying between 45 and 55 mph. That said, I did catch up to the train about 1/2 way between West Cameron and Gang Mills:

Photo taken by me Friday 8/20/2010 in Rathbone, NY. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk