NS 999 and 4610 at Danville Ky (detail shots)

Started by E.M. Bell, September 11, 2010, 11:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Thanks to the usual awesome heads up from the JREB gang (thanks Sean and Gauge!) we had learned that the brand new, one of a kind totally battery powered BP4 NS 999, and the Southern 4610, had landed in Danville (Ky) for the weekend.

NS was holding its annual Family days (and probably one of the LAST one's) for employee's and their families, and the two special engines had been brought in for display. The event was held behind the Danville shop, and the engines where on the old pig ramp track behind the shop.  I had pretty much ruled out getting any shots of them given the location in the yard, but took my camera with us when we made a short trip to Lexington. We took the "long" way back home, and I had figured if nothing else I would try a little drive by shooting if I could. When we got to the yard, I pulled up in a parking area by the shop to try a few quick tele shots, well back from everything. The festivities where wrapping up and most folks where gone, but one nice fellow that was cleaning up saw me, and motioned me over. He invited me to get closer and take as many pics as I wanted, and after thanking him, I went to work.  

It would have been nice if the sun was out, but I did what I could. I doubt I will have the chance again to shoot the 999 anytime soon. The poor ol 4610 is starting to get a little rough around the edges and is in bad need of another paint job. After seeing the 999 in person, I have to say the paint scheme on it is not that bad, but I dont see any road engines painted like that anytime soon. The only good thing the 999 had going for it is that it atleast kinda LOOKS like a EMD :)  

You can go to this link for 15 detail shots of the 999 and a couple of the 4610  
http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/gallery/1cs2010

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Conrail Quality

Specializing in ex-conrail equipment

Norm

Norm

Full Service

WB

Gage O'Dell

Dieselfan

That could be the reason for the unusual power display. Go out with a bang. It would be hard to have another family day in Danville, when you only have a handful of employees left. Hate to see it happen!
EMD ; There is NO Substitute!!!

steveiez

This enviro wacko battery stuff is plain BS. What are they going to do with the batteries? They are harder to recycle than anything. Plus the advantage of this does not seem to work out.
Steve

Norm

I read the other thread about Danville a few weeks ago but other than losing it as a crew change point what happens with switching, fueling, and shop operations?
Norm

JCagle

Quote from: steveiez on September 13, 2010, 05:12:26 PM
This enviro wacko battery stuff is plain BS. What are they going to do with the batteries? They are harder to recycle than anything. Plus the advantage of this does not seem to work out.

I don't think it is very effective myself, but I think if NS was serious about using them for switching I don't think they would be sending them all over to appear at events. I tend to look at them as more of a way for them to build a green image and get press wherever these things go.

The only time a lot of people think about the railroad is when they are stuck at a crossing, or when an accident occurs, so if you can get some press for doing something that the public sees as positive then it may be worth some expense.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk