NS on the former Erie Lackawanna in upstate NY

Started by Matt L, January 01, 2009, 09:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssmith1627

Those are some great, wide open locations to shoot from !  Thanks for uploading them all.  

Steve

Matt L

Most of the WNYP consist was covered hoppers of sand, which originated on a segment of the Buffalo Line  NS leases to WNYP.  The WNYP will interchange the hoppers with NS at the old Erie/EL yard in Hornell (a mile or two from this location), which in turn will be forwarded by NS to the Corning Inc glass plant. The last 2 cars, seen here, are reefers from Cuba Cheese. Since this photo was taken, WNYP  has rerouted the Cuba Cheese traffic from Hornell to Meadville. The hoppers are still interchanged with NS at Hornell.   

Photo taken by me Saturday 8/23/2008.  The train is on NS rails, crossing Canisteo Street. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Quote from: ssmith1627 on January 03, 2009, 06:12:56 PM
Those are some great, wide open locations to shoot from !  Thanks for uploading them all.  

You're welcome. I had alot of fun on these chases.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

I would be remiss if I didn't include a few shots from the greater Buffalo area. During one such trip, I ventured over to the former Erie/EL Buffalo Extension in Lancaster just as a light appeared in the distance:

Photo taken by me Saturday 8/9/2008. 

Matt L

The train was a westbound manifest freight, although I am unsure of the symbol.  Conrail power was on point:

Photo taken by me Saturday 8/9/2008 in Lancaster, NY. 

Matt L

Now we are looking west as the manifest freight thunders by my location, which was just off Central Avenue in Lancaster, NY:

Photo taken by me Saturday 8/9/2008.   

Matt L

As the train disappears into the distance, a green signal (to the left of the ROW)  indicates the route ahead is clear.  The train will probably terminate at the former EL Bison Yard, which is just a few miles west of Lancaster.

Photo taken by me Saturday 8/9/2008 in Lancaster, NY. This suburb of Buffalo is a fascinating study in RR history. In addition to the former Erie/EL Buffalo Extension used by NS, the remains of two former NKP interchange partners can be found just north of the last series of photos. A short stub of the DL&W operated by a shortline  (cleverly called the Depew, Lancaster & Western!)  terminates in Lancaster. The former Lehigh Valley mainline also runs through Lancaster, some of it being used as a road in an industrial park. Finally, the ex-NYC mainline runs across the north side of town... a very active route for CSX these days. Fans of fallen flags and modern RRing alike can  find something to enjoy in Lancaster.

Unless I can find some more photos from 2008, the last picture (above) will be final one I add to this thread. My NS-related photos from 2009 will be placed in a new thread. Enjoy!!!       

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk