Bison Yard on 4/19

Started by Matt L, May 04, 2008, 05:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

Sorry, it took a while to get these posted, as I''ve been both sick and busy. The following photo series is from a recent trip to Buffalo. I paid a visit to NS's Bison Yard, which is practically hallowed ground for an Erie Lackawanna fan like myself. It was a great day to visit, because the weather was warm and dry. Better yet, there was no wait for a train, as this eastbound mainfest was rolling through when I arrived:

Photo taken by me shortly before 5 PM. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

There was also another set of engines assembling another train:

Photo taken by me.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

As if two trains weren't, this eastbound intermodal pulled into the yard on the old DL&W main to drop off a string of  TOFCs:

Photo taken by me.

Matt L

Meanwhile, the set of engines from the second photograph were getting the two sections of their westbound manifest together:

Photo taken by me.   

Matt L

As if three trains weren't enough, yet another set of engines was kicking cars around the yard:

Photo taken by me.

Matt L

As the west bound manifest was getting ready to depart, this westbound intermodal pulled up beside it on the former Erie Buffalo Extension:

Photo taken by me.   

Matt L

The westbound intermodal was stopping for a crew change, as we can see in this picture:

Photo taken by me. 

Matt L

The westbound manifest departed a few minutes later. This the tail end of that train rolling under the bridge at Harlem Road:

Photo taken by me.   

Matt L

Unfortunately, I had plans for the evening so I had depart shortly after 5:30 PM. I did get this final picture of the idling westbound intermodal as I walked away. The construction in the foreground a new trail being built on the old LehighValley ROW.

Photo taken by me.  I hope y'all enjoy viewing these pictures, because it was a blast to take them. I never dreamed that I'd photograph 5 separate NS trains in Buffalo on a Saturday afternoon... WOW!!!     

ORVILLE

First time I have see Bison Yard.

Matt L

I'm glad you enjoyed my photos,  Orville.

I've gone over Bison Yard a number of times (usually on the NY State Thruway bridge seen in the background), but this was my first time railfanning it. Bison was a key interchange point between N&W and Erie Lackawanna back in the '60s and '70s... so it was nice to experience a little piece of history. Norfolk Southern seems committed to keeping the remains of the EL alive in NY... so look for more photographic essays from me as the year progresses. 

nickwilson159

I haven't done much around Bison...the cops are generally pretty ruthless. All the local railfans I know can't spend more than 5 minutes on the bridge before a local cop starts hassling them, and if you go down to ground level, the NS cops are on you like flies on crap (and if you're on their property, you're getting a ticket or leaving in handcuffs...CSX is far more forgiving up here, but that's another story).

Were it not for this "minor inconvenience", I'd probably head over there more often...I really wish I could've been around way back in the day to hang out at SK Yard with all the D&H, CP, NYS&W, GATX, CR, and NS power floating around...

Anyhow, great shots! Let me know if you're ever back up in Buffalo...I might be able to sneak out there from Rochester.

ORVILLE

I am waiting for more photos from Bison Yard. Thanks again  ;D

Matt L

Quote from: TAMR159 on May 08, 2008, 12:05:56 AM
I haven't done much around Bison...the cops are generally pretty ruthless. All the local railfans I know can't spend more than 5 minutes on the bridge before a local cop starts hassling them, and if you go down to ground level, the NS cops are on you like flies on crap (and if you're on their property, you're getting a ticket or leaving in handcuffs...CSX is far more forgiving up here, but that's another story).

My female companion and I were on the bridge for over 30 minutes with no problems.

The bridge is public property and a cop really has no business harrassing someone engaged in a legal activity like taking pictures. Of course, I don't look like a teenager. It's not always a  fair world- younger guys have a stigma attached to them, regardless of how they actually behave. Always be polite to a police officer, but also be firm in reminding him/her that railfanning on the Harlem Road bridge is not a crime.     

I wouldn't go onto NS property... ever. Conrail tended to be fairly fan-friendly but the Elmira Yard changed almost immediately after NS took over in 1999... so I knew better than to try to enter Bison Yard.  Now, there is a bright spot for railfans... the local govt (Erie County?) is building a trail on the old LV ROW... which runs next to Bison Yard. In fact, if you look at the picture below, there is quite the dirt mound being constructed... which will allow for some good railfanning on public property right next to the tracks!

Photo taken by me on 4/19/2008.   

Sabrestrainfan

Quote from: Matt L on May 08, 2008, 08:38:34 PM
Quote from: TAMR159 on May 08, 2008, 12:05:56 AM

My female companion and I were on the bridge for over 30 minutes with no problems.

The bridge is public property and a cop really has no business harrassing someone engaged in a legal activity like taking pictures. Of course, I don't look like a teenager. It's not always a  fair world- younger guys have a stigma attached to them, regardless of how they actually behave. Always be polite to a police officer, but also be firm in reminding him/her that railfanning on the Harlem Road bridge is not a crime.     

I wouldn't go onto NS property... ever. Conrail tended to be fairly fan-friendly but the Elmira Yard changed almost immediately after NS took over in 1999... so I knew better than to try to enter Bison Yard.  Now, there is a bright spot for railfans... the local govt (Erie County?) is building a trail on the old LV ROW... which runs next to Bison Yard. In fact, if you look at the picture below, there is quite the dirt mound being constructed... which will allow for some good railfanning on public property right next to the tracks!

Photo taken by me on 4/19/2008.   

hey, do you know if they're finished with it yet, and if so, will the cops stay out of my way, lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk