Ms Katy, UP 1988 on the CNO&TP

Started by E.M. Bell, December 29, 2007, 08:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Im not sure if anyone here at Jreb had ANY idea that a Upeeeeeeeee "Heritage" unit, was leading train 223 today...but here is the pics to prove it  (sarcasm...anyone....anyone???)

Thanks to the great info by our members here at Jreb, we where able to keep track of the 223 as he got close to KY.  When I woke up this morning at 0630, 223 was going by my house here in Salvisa on the Louisville District. Not counting on him being THAT early out of Louisville, I hastily found some clean drawers, grabbed the camera and got out the door. I arrive in Danville just as they had finished refueling and watch the rear end disappear into the  West yard as the sun started to show itself.

A DV yard crew was on the train and spent over a hour switching blocks of cars out, put the train back together, made a brake test about 0845 and then nothing.... I sat in Danville all morning, being joined by Alex Moss (nsfan14), his dad and another fellow from Lawrenceburg.  Around 11 with the knowledge of a fleet of Southbounds getting close, we moved down to Junction city and spent the afternoon shooting train after train, but NO 223.  1500 found us back up at Bowen watching the sun getting lower in the sky and shadows getting longer. About 1530 we heard a Crew get on 223 and get it ready to head South. They went past us at Bowen a little after 1600, and I managed only a couple of shots.  I HAD planned to chase it South a good ways, but I will take what I got...

Here it is, living proof, in the low light...not much sooner than the train went by the sun was gone behind the hills and that was that. Look for more photos from that day later on... 

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

ssw9662

Great shots!

I'm holding onto hope that it will find its way onto 212 or 214 when it gets to Atlanta, I don't think that will happen though.

Junior

Where is the Tarp?  I thought they came standard with a custom tarp.

Nice shot Mr. Bell

later
Junior

alxmoss1992

Very nice shots emmett.  Tuesday ill post mine on here. Very nice looking unit. Im just glad he came when he did!
Alex L. Moss

Joe Vittitoe

That was a bummer Emmett that it got out so late.I had to work otherwise I would
have been there with you guys.It was for the most part overcast here in the
Louisville area today but when I checked the satelite it looked good for you all,
unfortunately the railroad didn't cooperate with your chase.To bad that would have been a good one.

alxmoss1992

Quote from: Joe Vittitoe on December 29, 2007, 09:25:51 PM
That was a bummer Emmett that it got out so late.I had to work otherwise I would
have been there with you guys.It was for the most part overcast here in the
Louisville area today but when I checked the satelite it looked good for you all,
unfortunately the railroad didn't cooperate with your chase.To bad that would have been a good one.
Joe,
Yes when we was leaving louisville it was very overcast. Once we made it to Waddy the sky was great. Had very nice sun most of the day. Once we left Danville to head back for Louisville it got overcast again once we made it to Lawrenceburg.
Alex L. Moss

NS Va Division

Great photos. In my opinion it was well worth the wait! Thanks for sharing & also putting in the effort & time on updates.

TRNBUF

I'm glad you guys got to see him.  It is nothing too exciting for us over here because he comes through on the UP about once a week.  I was just surprised that he left his UP jurisdiction and hopped on the NS.   I think it is due for a bath though, do you think NS will clean it up for them since they borrowed it...LOL!!! ;D :D

Great Shots Emmett!!!  Can't wait to see everyone's photos of the Katy.

~Mike

Hoydie17

Quote from: ssw9662 on December 29, 2007, 08:36:18 PM
Great shots!

I'm holding onto hope that it will find its way onto 212 or 214 when it gets to Atlanta, I don't think that will happen though.

As of late, there isn't much that I'll even bother going out to shoot anymore, unless I'm on a trip out of my home area.  But IF it was to get put on as leader for 212 or 214 or anything else coming North on the old Southern, I'd actually take a day off to go South and meet it somewhere, LOL. 

Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

alxmoss1992

Alex L. Moss

TRNBUF

Great Shot Alex!!!  ;)

Does #223 have priority because who was that sitting on the siding?

alxmoss1992

Quote from: TRNBUF on December 30, 2007, 11:59:13 PM
Great Shot Alex!!!  ;)

Does #223 have priority because who was that sitting on the siding?
Not sure who it was in the siding. But yea I think 223 had priority cause when we left Bowen we stopped at a gas station near the tracks and once 223 cleared the other guy left bowen.
Alex L. Moss

J-man

Just about everyone ahead of 223 is considered low priority.  I've left out quite a few times knowing we'll have to stop and let someone go by us.  Anyways, great shots guys of a very unique motor!
God Bless America!
NS Conductor, CNO&TP
A few pictures

E.M. Bell

That train lurking in the background in Alex's shot was a Southbound loaded grain train, 54a, 56a, something like that.. It got smoked by 111 then the 223 before it went on South. 

If you are gonna get passed by a train on the CS, it will more than likely be by 215, 223, 229, 230, 216, 251 and 264.  Those are about the "highest ranking" trains in the pecking order.  Intermodal is King, Autoracks second and everything else gets to to run when they have some track  :) 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk