Never mind the rain... a fun day in western NY

Started by Matt L, July 26, 2012, 07:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I headed out to the Buffalo area... and I'm tellin' ya, it was an adventure! The morning started out cloudy and damp at Buffalo Creek Junction.

NS local H0A was pulling out when I arrived.

A pair of Buffalo & Pittsburgh locals were also working in their yard:

I also caught auto rack train 287 heading westbound on the former NKP mainline, with one of the B&P locals in the background:

All photos in this post taken by me Friday 7/20/2012 in Buffalo, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

I headed down to the Lake Avenue crossing, but I did make a quick stop to catch a third B&P local switching the Republic Steel plant.

Photo taken by me Friday 7/20/2012 in Lackawanna, NY.

At Lake Avenue, I caught NS GP38-2 #5640 (seen earlier) returning light after taking H0A down to Hamburg. Auto rack train #287 passed through the crossing, heading westbound... and the Buffalo Southern local arrived, as well. 

The three preceeding photos were taken by me Friday 7/20/2012 in Blasdell, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

I headed back to Buffalo Creek Junction, which hosted a couple of short NS freights, Antrak's eastbound Lake Shore Limited, a returning B&P local and the Buffalo Southern interchange. Seeing NS, BSOR and CSX running side by side was pretty cool, too.  A steady rain started falling while I was taking these shots on the Tifft Street bridge, but I kept shooting! 

Matt L

I spent a good part of the day with the Buffalo Southern, following the local south to an interchange with the New York & Lake Erie, another shortline.

Buffalo Southern RS18 #1847 leads the local across the BSOR/NS diamond at Blasdell, NY:

BSOR conductor Brian Prentice (a fellow railfan and all around good guy) gets off #1807 to flag the Church Street crossing in Hamburg, NY. Note the Erie milepost at left.

Ever see the movie Planes, Trains and Automobiles? New York & Lake Erie Alco C425 #1013 pulled the "Contrak" train in that film. She is currently in storage at Gowanda, NY.

This is the former Erie station @ Gowanda, NY.

NYLE #308 is has the rare distinction of being a former Erie locomotive which still wears the same number as delivered and operates on home rails. This location is the former Erie B&SW branch.

NYLE #308 and BSOR #1847 work side by side to interhange at Gowanda, NY. The rain stopped shortly before the Buffalo Southern local arrived and the skies slowly cleared.

BSOR #1847 works next to a pair of NYLE FPA4s that were used in excursion service for many years. The cab units are now stored at Gowanda, NY.

With the NYLE conductor flagging the crossing, #308 and her consist rumble across Commercial Street in Gowanda, NY

After both trains departed, I headed back north to Buffalo. I did stop at Eden, NY, to photograph the Buffalo Southern headquarters, which is an old Erie depot. The semaphore is ex-Erie and (according to local residents) still works. Yes, that's my chase vehicle in the parking lot.

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 7/20/2012. Even though I got soaked, it was a great chase day.

BuffaloRailfan30

Quote from: Matt L on July 26, 2012, 07:30:28 PM
I headed out to the Buffalo area... and I'm tellin' ya, it was an adventure! The morning started out cloudy and damp at Buffalo Creek Junction.

NS local H0A was pulling out when I arrived.

A pair of Buffalo & Pittsburgh locals were also working in their yard:

I also caught auto rack train 287 heading westbound on the former NKP mainline, with one of the B&P locals in the background:

Nice pic's! I caught the same B&P empty ballast train.

Matt L

BuffaloRailfan30

Quote from: BuffaloRailfan30 on July 27, 2012, 11:58:59 PM
I caught the same B&P empty ballast train.

Oh cool! Where did you see it?

[/quote]

At CP Draw

Matt L

Nice! I gotta get back to Red Jacket Park so I can watch all the action on that bridge.

BuffaloRailfan30

Well it wasn't at the park but it was on South Park Ave. The lighting was better from the other side

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk