For the First Time in 18 Years

Started by Ptrainman, June 25, 2012, 04:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ptrainman

For the First Time in 18 years, Steam ran on the Virginia Division. 630 preformed flawlessly the whole time I chased them from Martinsville to Roanoke. They made one planned stop at Fieldale for grease and then one unplanned stop at Blackwater River north of Rocky Mount because of a generator on one of the coaches went out. They did grease one axle while they were stopped. There was a great turn out I think, between 25-75 people at every place I shot them and about 5-10 of us chasing them. There were over 200 people in Boones Mill when they went through. 630 put up a hard chase with us chasing through very crooked roads that wind away from and back to the track.
This was the first time I have ever seen a steam locomotive out and running since the old steam program ended the year I was born, and Ill have to say it was great. No diesel will ever compare and I am now hooked on steam

Now for the shots. The first two are of 630 stopped at Fieldale as the crew greases the axles.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

Ptrainman

The next one is of 630 pulling out of Fieldale. Next is looking down on the tracks norht of Fieldale.

Paul
KK4KQX

Ptrainman

These two are at Blaine, just north of Blackwater River.

Paul
KK4KQX

NSMoWandS

Great pics! Glad you had a good chase!

Ptrainman

First is 630 climbing the grade into Boones Mill past a Ex-N&W SD40-2 in nice clean paint in the siding. Next is 630 rounding the curve at Starkey with the Blue Ridge Mountains in the background. I did not even know how to get here and it was not on my list of places to shot. I was trying for a shot at Starlight bridge but got there to late and followed a group of chasers to Starkey. This was the best shot of the day I think.

Paul
KK4KQX

Ptrainman

Next is a closer shot at Starkey and then a shot at JK in Roanoke.
KK4KQX

Ptrainman

Next are two of 630 in downtown Roanoke. From What I hear this area wont be the same soon.

Paul
KK4KQX

Ptrainman

Last are two shots of 630 once they had parked it over on Track 57/Old Main Line in Roanoke.

Paul
KK4KQX

GP30Rider

I was car hosting yesterday on Southern 829.  My passengers had a high old time waving and watching you guys pace and chase.  It was good for tons of laughs.

Ptrainman

I was one of the two people chasing yall that was wearing a NS safety vest. I was on a black ford truck.
It was a great chase, just a bit challenging at times, especially for me because I was not very familiar with the Pumpkin Vine.

Paul
KK4KQX

E.M. Bell

Great Stuff Paul! I love that shot at Jefferson St with the CPL's...hope to get something similar this weekend myself.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Ptrainman

Im gonna try for that one again to myself because I dont think they have long to live. I have a feeling that area will look alot different soon.

Paul
KK4KQX

Matt L

Quote from: Ptrainman on June 25, 2012, 04:34:32 PM
Next are two of 630 in downtown Roanoke. From What I hear this area wont be the same soon.

What is going to change there?
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Ptrainman

All the signals between 24th St. and Furnace Crossing will be replaced, alot of the track work between 24th St and 8 1/2 St will be redone among other things. the only plus to all this is all the main lines in Roanoke will be on ATCS.

Paul

KK4KQX

NSMoWandS

Quote from: Ptrainman on June 25, 2012, 10:16:42 PM
All the signals between 24th St. and Furnace Crossing will be replaced, alot of the track work between 24th St and 8 1/2 St will be redone among other things. the only plus to all this is all the main lines in Roanoke will be on ATCS.

Paul

Train speeds are also going to increase. Dan

butch

Great shots, looks like it was a great day.
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

Matt L

Quote from: Ptrainman on June 25, 2012, 10:16:42 PM

Does this mean there will be a reduction in the number of tracks there?
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Ptrainman

No, from what I have heard, there will be more tracks through that area. 4 tracks between the current 8 1/2 St. and Park St. and 3 from Park on.

Paul
KK4KQX

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk