Wendesday Evening in Knoxville...

Started by JtBurKe, May 17, 2012, 12:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JtBurKe

This evening started normal, now that I have a scanner again! :) So I drove down to Mascot after hearing dispatch clear T18 from the line by 4:30.
1) Ten minutes later 960, a light move, ES44AC 8007 and SD70ACe 1037 drifted down to Sevier.
2) After they cleared, northbound 34S left Sevier and trotted north with 9-40CW 8996, SD70M 2540, and 9-40CW 9765.
After moving breifly moving locations for hopes of another Sevier inbound, the West End dispatcher came on the radio asking for lead locomotive id. The crew response was answered with "KLW?? Hmm never heard of that one before." And that alone was enough to send me tearing down to the west side of Sevier to catch it.
3,4) Unknown ID but sure enough the Knoxville Locomotive Works locomotive was leading, the train appeared to be headed for CSX interchange, however it stopped short of Willoughby and started moving backwards. So thinking it would move to Coster I jumped up to Baxter St. and waited... Until a GEVO horn was heard on the West End, so I jumped to the station just in time for another train
5) (Unknown ID) to go by and stop short of Willoughby to wait for 212.
6,7) I then went to the 17th St overpass and go my last few shots.
And that is what happened in Knoxville this past evening.

NSMoWandS

Sweet pics! I just got my first Genset earlier today!!!

Michael Knight

Quote from: JtBurKe on May 17, 2012, 12:46:51 AM

3,4) Unknown ID but sure enough the Knoxville Locomotive Works locomotive was leading, the train appeared to be headed for CSX interchange, however it stopped short of Willoughby and started moving backwards. So thinking it would move to Coster I jumped up to Baxter St. and waited... Until a GEVO horn was heard on the West End, so I jumped to the station just in time for another train

TK23

5) (Unknown ID) to go by and stop short of Willoughby to wait for 202.

15T

csx6900

2) After they cleared, northbound 34S left Sevier and trotted north with 9-40CW 8996, SD70M 2540, and 9-40CW 9765.

I've never heard of a 34S before.  Sure it wasn't 134, or is this a new train?  Great pics!  Awesome catch on that KLW unit.

-Evan
Owner and Administrator of RailSightings.com

Ns Railfan

JtBurKe

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the clarification on the ID's Michael.

Evan- I have a feeling it was a second section of 134 because the dispatcher and the crew definitely were tagging an S on the end, but I did hear some talk of a 134 that was on the West End (??)

Michael Knight

Quote from: JtBurKe on May 17, 2012, 10:34:07 AM

Thanks for the clarification on the ID's Michael.

You're welcome.

Quote from: JtBurKe on May 17, 2012, 10:34:07 AM
... I have a feeling it was a second section of 134 because the dispatcher and the crew definitely were tagging an S on the end...

The second section of 134 would be "M34." No "S" is used for that symbol.

E.M. Bell

So, the KLW creation on a NS job, or a KXHR move?  I had heard that they wanted NS to give the thing a try. 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

JtBurKe

EM- This was a transfer to the CSX interchange, they were sitting on the City Yard lead to wait for 212 to pass and 15T to clear so they could crossover and work the interchange. So technically it was a NS train but it didn't go too far from home. I wouldn't doubt if turned around and became a KHR transfer and picked up KHR cars and terminated at Coster.

Ns Railfan

Looks like your correct the KLW 2250 is coupled to a NS geep an parked right below the main tower.

Michael Knight

Quote from: JtBurKe on May 18, 2012, 09:36:46 AM
EM- This was a transfer to the CSX interchange, they were sitting on the City Yard lead to wait for 212 to pass and 15T to clear so they could crossover and work the interchange. So technically it was a NS train but it didn't go too far from home. I wouldn't doubt if turned around and became a KHR transfer and picked up KHR cars and terminated at Coster.

Were you also taking pictures at the Willoughby diamond that night of train 202? (Train 212 doesn't operate here.)

Michael Knight

Quote from: E.M. Bell on May 17, 2012, 06:55:04 PM
So, the KLW creation on a NS job, or a KXHR move?  I had heard that they wanted NS to give the thing a try. 

NS is apparently testing it, and it has been in the local power pool at Sevier for at least the last couple of days. It worked again on TK23 last night. It's been in service with NS 5037.

chipallen16

Quote from: JtBurKe on May 18, 2012, 09:36:46 AM
wait for 212 to pass
That was probably 202. I'm positive it wasn't 212. He runs Atlanta to Croxton, NJ every day. He's through here between 7:00 and 8:00 every single morning.

-Chip  :)

JtBurKe

Arrggg, well the train ID began with a 2 and ended with a 2 so I just put a number in the middle... Yeah my bad, stupid summer break.  ;D
No, that was someone else that caught 202 down at Willoughby, he and I were around looking at the KLW loco then he went to Willoughby and I was on the 17th St bridge, but left 5 minutes before 202 came.

chipallen16

Haha. Don't worry about it! Numbers can get confusing anyway!

-Chip  :)

E.M. Bell

Glad to see NS take a crack at it. The guys at KLW do good work, and maybe this will be a hit for them. Experimental units seem to come and come, but sooner or latter (and if we like it or not) something will have to "stick"

After seeing that thing up close last year when it was first released, I have to say that (for what it is), it doent look all that bad...ie, almost like a EMD still :)
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk