My adventures with snow

Started by Matt L, February 26, 2012, 07:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

There was not much snow in upstate NY this winter, because it has been a fairly mild overall in this neck of the woods. However, the past 3 weekends have been cold and snowy... which meant I could get out and capture some shots in a setting that actually looks like winter.

My first expedition of the month as a trip to CP Linden, which is on the western portion of the Southern Tier Mainline. Westbound 23K was the first arrival of the day.

Photo taken by me Sat 2/11/2012 in Linden, NY. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The tail end of 23K approaches the Molasses Hill Road crossing. Regardless of the name, this place isn't molasses- Norfolk Southern keeps the freight trains rolling through here.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The next arrival was also westbound- 12T arrived later that same morning.

Matt L

For those who wonder about the numbering, 12T is a north-south operation between Binghamton and Allentown and its symbol reflects that.

Matt L

Tank cars in the consist of 12T rolls across Molasses Hill Road.

Matt L

The tail end of 12T passes the signals at MP 387, east of Molasses Hill Road.

Matt L

My third and final sighting of the day was 38T, which passed through CP Linden in the early afternoon.

Matt L

Big red barns (slang for CP power among local railfans) leading 38T head eastbound on the former Erie Buffalo Division.

Matt L

This old BN hopper was in the consist of 38T- I love seeing vintage paint schemes.

Matt L

This particular day was nasty- sunny intervals would alternate with sudden snow squalls that would drop an inch or so of snow and then be over in 15 minutes. It was tough driving, but 38T passed through the snow with ease.

Matt L

The tail end of 38T has cleared Molasses Hill Road.

Photo taken by me Sat 2/11/2012 in Linden, NY. I had to run some errands later in the afternoon, so I departed shortly after the train passed.

Matt L

The next weekend (2/18), was an encounter with CSX... and beyond the scope of this message board. Therefore, let's move forward to yesterday... which had lake effect snow that lasted until late in the afternoon. The location again is CP Linden, which looks good during winter weather.

13T arrived around mid-morning. This might be the earliest time I have ever seen this train on the Southern Tier Mainline.

Photo taken by me Saturday 2/25/2012 in Linden, NY.

Matt L

13T was applying the brakes by the time I saw it... and the power stopped near the signals at CP Linden. I don't know if NS or the Erie Lackawanna* ever used this term, but Lehigh Valley crews called this practice "sitting in the hole" when it happened on their mainline.

*-EL single tracked this line and installed CTC circa 1965.

Matt L

23K and its eastbound counterpart 22K are given priority on the Southern Tier Mainline. The arrival of 23K explained why 13T was sitting in the hole.

Matt L

23K passes through the interlocking at CP Linden. The switch itself has a heater that gives off an odd hiss that's almost eerie (not Erie).

Matt L

23K had auto racks at the head end of the consist, as usual.

Matt L

This run of 23K was unusual (for me) because it had double stacks. Normally, the COFC on the train is single stack. This is one of the few times I've seen double stacks on the former EL since the late '90s.

Matt L

The lake effect machine continued to pound me with snow as the tail end of 23K headed through the interlocking.

Matt L

23K and 13T meet at CP Linden.

Matt L

With 23K cleared, 13T got under way again.

Matt L

13T reaches the interlocking at CP Linden.

Matt L

13T approaches Molasses Hill Road.

Matt L

13T had an old CP SD40-2 for trailing power.

Matt L

13T crosses Molasses Hill Road.

Matt L

Like 38T two weeks earlier, 13T had an old BN hopper in the consist... nice!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk