Lots and lots of trains.

Started by Ed Fury, October 07, 2011, 03:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Fury

All of these are on the Norfolk Southern Louisville district.
Most are between MP 285 and 288.
I will go lowest roster number to highest roster number and they date from 9-19-2011 to 10-05-2011.

The first two came from a heads up by E.M. of an all EMD consist headed my way. I had been watching the signal and it was set for a westbound and this eastbound came up behind me unexpected. So you can't trust a signal as they went through on a yellow. And if someone tells you a train is coming get your camera ready instead of texting.. I'll learn one day.

This is an S curve at Six Mile lane about MP 285

Photo #3 is east of MP 286 behind where the old little caesars pizza used to be and where some crews would park a train or MoW vehicle and go grab a $5 pizza.. seriously.

Ed Fury

Photo #4 - A work train with one conrail gondola - mp 286
Photo #5 - One of those patched buy-a-wreck units - mp 286
Photo #6 - Standard cabs on an intermodal and not ES40's - mp 288

Ed Fury

photo #7 - 6695 coming back west with a stack train at the pope lick trestle.
photo #8 & #9 - NS 7610 at mp 288 in dpu mode. I've caught this unit numerous times and it is always the dpu.

Ed Fury

Photos 10,11,12 - NS 7610 finally as a lead unit. Hurstbourne Lane and Six Mile lane - mp 286

Ed Fury

Photo #13 - dpu on the back of the 7610 stack train
Photo #14 - 7705 @ 286

Ed Fury

Photos 15 & 16 NS 8340 at mp 288 from the overpass and up close

Ed Fury

Photo 17 - 8420 at Pope Lick
Photo 18 - 8420 parked at the west end of Tucker Siding - mp 288
Photo 19 - NS 9008 crossing over Hurstbourne Ln - mp 286

There's a nice shade tree and a huge limestone rock about 5 feet off the ground. I can sit on the rock in the shade and watch the signal from #19 it let's me know if anything is coming west which is back towards the tucker siding.

Ed Fury

Photos 20,21,22 - Catfish at Hurstbourne

Ed Fury

Photos 23 & 24 - This was a parked train back when the guy was stuck on the 4 wheeler and they had the derail on the CNO&TP. I caught them just as they were starting back up and heading East. This is the East end of the Tucker Siding. I guess mp 289 or 290?

Photo 25 - LHF mixing center run at mp 286

Ed Fury

Photos 26,27,28 - Exactly 3 hours later 9190 comes back West. The mixing center run takes 3 hours if there is not a back up on the line. If things are running they get parked at Tucker for hours while everyone runs around them.

Ed Fury

Photos 29,30, 31 - Lots and lots of dash9.

Ed Fury

Photos 32 & 33 - More dash 9 power. This rock is getting old. But I've been chased off every other public location and I get tired of be hassled. I can at least hide back here for now.

Ed Fury

Photos 34,35,36 - My personal favorites out of this bunch. Nothing special though. This was my first train shooting from this angle and location. I guess I could have checked it off and moved on. But you never know what the next train is going to be.

Ed Fury

And last but not least some color.

Photos 37 & 38 - A real UP unit and an ex-UP unit. mp 288. They are building something here and I guess the scenery is going to change.

I was trying to get photos from here before the new buildings went up and the view becomes more boxed in.. this is when someone called me in as a terrorist and the police came to see what I was doing.

Long story short I just moved my hangout to the rock under the shade tree so I don't have to deal with people.

NSDash9

Both of those are UP units, Ed.  The 9223 was just on short term lease to NS, but all of the leased UP Dash 8-40C's are being returned to UP on account of the new NS SD70ACe's that are coming.

Chris
Chris R. Toth

Ed Fury

Quote from: NSDash9 on October 07, 2011, 12:45:24 PM
Both of those are UP units, Ed.  The 9223 was just on short term lease to NS, but all of the leased UP Dash 8-40C's are being returned to UP on account of the new NS SD70ACe's that are coming.

Chris

I had NS 6532 on my mind that I had seen earlier in the day and had not downloaded from my SD card yet.

That UP 9223 there clearly has the big white leased sticker on it.

Ed Fury

I was headed up to Indiana today to check out the fall colors in the state parks and happened to see the LS getting drilled with eastbound trains.

23g went out and right behind them another stack train with a bnsf leader went hot on their tail. Right behind the 2nd stack train I caught this old Santa Fe headed east. As I was going up 65 North I saw NS 711 parked waiting to cross over the CSX diamond and head west. I wasn't really prepared to railfan so I only photographed this one train.. The gp60 7139 was also ready with another stack train waiting on road power to arrive. I've never seen 3 stacks go out before.

Matt L

Quote from: Ed Fury on October 07, 2011, 03:56:26 AM
There's a nice shade tree and a huge limestone rock about 5 feet off the ground. I can sit on the rock in the shade and watch the signal from #19 it let's me know if anything is coming west which is back towards the tucker siding.

I like that kind of setting. IMO, it's good to have a convenient place to sit and watch the signal, so I can read a book between trains.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Ed Fury

Quote from: Matt L on October 09, 2011, 06:58:14 PM

I like that kind of setting. IMO, it's good to have a convenient place to sit and watch the signal, so I can read a book between trains.

I use my phone and facebook and also constantly keep on the lookout for the police. I did catch someone trying to dump some trash out of the back of a panel truck along the tracks. I think I scared the crap out of them about as bad as they scared me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk