What I did on my Summer Vacation 2011

Started by Matt L, August 29, 2011, 06:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

In a ritual I've repeated for the past 5 years, I took some vacation time lin late August to A. celebrate my mother's birthday and B. chase trains.

Day #1 trackside was a trip to a former Lehigh Valley RR yard, which is now used by NS and the Lehigh Railway- a relatively new shortline that leases NS tracks in northern PA. The yard has been busy with natural gas drilling traffic over the past few years, so it has been getting some TLC.

Photo taken by me Tuesday 8/23/2011 in Sayre, PA.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

A few hundred feet up the tracks, it looked like some ballast had been recently dropped off for the track gang.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Unfortunately, the yard was very quiet... neither the Lehigh Railway nor NS local H88 made an appearance that day.

Matt L

The only thing that moved in the ex-LV yard was this NS MOW truck.

Photo taken by me Tuesday 8/23/2011 in Sayre, PA. The time was shortly after the earthquake that occurred that day. I thought the wind was shaking my car... but I discovered the truth when I got to my mother's home that evening and watched the news!   

Matt L

Indeed, my only train sighting that day was on the Southern Tier Mainline... just "over the border" from Sayre. 38T rumbled through in the afternoon, with this elderly Soo unit leading.  

Photo taken by me Tuesday 8/23/2011 in Waverly, NY.

Matt L

38T also had a pair of leased EMD units in the power mix, including an SD45.

Photo taken by me Tuesday 8/23/2011 in Waverly, NY. Being an EL fan, it was nice to see an SD45 here for the first time in at least 20 years.

Matt L

The tail end of 38T- this was the end of train watching for the day, as well.

Photo taken by me Tuesday 8/23/2011 in Waverly, NY.

Matt L

The next day was better. Following a tour of the Owego & Hartford (which I'll cover at another time), I intercepted the NS OCS near the old depot.

Photo taken by me Wednesday 8/24/2011 in Owego, NY. BTW, the OCS suffered an engine fire (#4275?) in Binghamton... but the excursion managed to stay on time. 

Matt L

The OCS passes under signals which NS installed just a few years ago to replace vintage Erie semaphores.

Photo taken by me Wednesday 8/24/2011 in Owego, NY.

Matt L

I liked the end of the observation(?) car in the OCS- there must have a great view of tracks for anyone fortunate to ride it.

Photo taken by me Wednesday 8/24/2011 in Owego, NY.

Matt L

The OCS passes through a small yard in the town where my mother grew up.

Photo taken by me Wednesday 8/24/2011 in Waverly, NY.

Matt L

Keeping good time, the OCS passed CP Gibson shortly before 3 PM.

Photo taken by me Wednesday 8/24/2011 in Corning, NY.

Matt L

The brakes squealed as the OCS slowed for the approach to the yard at Gang Mills (a couple miles away).

Photo taken by me Wednesday 8/24/2011 in Corning, NY.

Matt L

Meanwhile, this wide cab was idling in the yard. According to a trusted source, this locomotive would depart with northbound H06 a short time after the OCS passed.

Photo taken by me Wednesday 8/24/2011 in Gang Mills, NY. 

Matt L

NS had alot of power on display at the yard, including 5 locomotives near the east end.

Matt L

Among the Geeps, I found this high nose GP38-2. NS has brought a couple of them to upstate NY in recent years.

Matt L

At the west end of the yard, a pair of low nose GP38-2s was assembling another train.

Photo taken by me Wednesday 8/24/2011 in Gang Mills, NY. This a busy place. NS services at least 5 shortlines, local industries and the gas drillers from the Gang Mills yard.

Matt L

Resuming the OCS chase, I caught the train at CP Erwin.

Photo taken by me Wednesday 8/24/2011 in Erwin, NY.

Matt L

The OCS passed through CP Cass shortly before 4:30 PM.

Photo taken by me Wednesday 8/24/2011 in Hornell, NY.

Matt L

The F units lead the OCS up the former Erie/EL Buffalo Extension.

Matt L

The OCS consist passes through CP Cass.

Matt L

As the tail end of the OCS cleared West Street, I received credible reports of at least 2 NS freights in the area... so I chose to end the OCS chase here.

Matt L

Sure enough, westbound 23K arrived at CP Cass about 40 minutes after the OCS.

Matt L

23K had been trailing the OCS for much of the day and this continued as the train headed up the Buffalo Extension.

Matt L

Roughly 2/3 of 23K seemed to be auto racks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk