A hot Friday in Buffalo

Started by Matt L, August 10, 2011, 07:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

What a difference 4 months can make! When I raillfanned the Buffalo area at the end of March, it was a mere 15 degrees when I got on the Tifft Street Bridge. Fast forward to last month and it was 79 degrees at the same location at 9 AM. Needless to say, last month was more to my liking and I enjoyed the chase immensely.

This Geep was already switching at Buffalo Creek Junction when I arrived.

Photo taken by me Friday 7/22/2011 in Buffalo, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

This train was the local H1J. At first, I thought it was heading for westbound for Hamburg on the former NKP mainline.  

Photo taken by me Friday 7/22/2011 in Buffalo, NY.  The freight cars at left are a Buffalo & Pittsburgh RR consist parked on a former B&O branchline.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

However, the NS local wasn't headed to Hamburg (yet). Instead, the train stopped and backed up the connecting track to the B&P. 

Matt L

At the same time, a former UP SD60 was leading a westbound train on the former Buffalo & Southwestern at Buffalo Creek Junction.

Matt L

This train was empty hoppers. I think it was the westbound counterpart to the 888-series coal trains NS runs to the Buffalo area for delivery (via CSX) to the Somerset power plant on Lake Ontario.

Matt L

HIJ interchanging with the B&P.

Matt L

As the empty hopper train headed westward, it was passed by a westbound CSX train.

Matt L

NS 5640 shoves the consist of H1J onto the B&P.

Matt L

HIJ drops off cars for the B&P at Buffalo Creek Junction.

Photo taken by me Friday 7/22/2011 in Buffalo, NY. A pair of the B&P's orange/black EMD switchers can be seen in the background.

Matt L

Speaking of the Buffalo & Pittsburgh, one of their road freights arrived while HiJ was in the yard.

Matt L

The B&P road freight is about to pass under Tifft Street on former South Buffalo RR trackage.

Matt L

GP38-2 #5640 has returned to the ex-NKP mainline at Buffalo Creek Junction.

Matt L

H1J with a new consist at Buffalo Creek Junction.

Matt L

A westbound auto rack train arrived while H1J continued to work.

Matt L

I think this train was 287, which is listed as an auto rack train that runs from Bison Yard to Bellevue (OH). 

Matt L

NS 287 wasn't moving very fast at Tifft Street, so I drove west and intercepted the train in the 'burbs.

Photo taken by me Friday 7/22/2011 in Blasdell, NY.

Matt L

NS 287 crosses the BSOR (Buffalo Southern RR) diamond. The NKP mainline and an Erie branchline crossed here back in the steam era.

Matt L

NS 287 at the Lake Avenue crossing.

Matt L

The tail end of 287 heads down the ex-NKP.

Matt L

About 20 minutes later, H1J hit the diamond.

Matt L

H1J approaches Lake Avenue.

Matt L

Four axle power crosses Lake Avenue.

Matt L

H1J heads west. The boxcars will be dropped off a few miles down the track in Hamburg.

Matt L

I headed back to Buffalo Creek Junction after H1J cleared. There was no more NS action to be seen form the Tifft Street bridge... but the B&P switchers were still working the yard.

Matt L

Those poor dudes working the B&P local must've been sweltering in the heat... since the only "air conditioning" they had was an open door in the cab.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk