Bennett Levin's E8As and freight action in the rain

Started by Matt L, August 08, 2011, 07:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

As noted in the "Heads Up" subforum, Bennet Levin's beautifully restored Pennsy E8As led an excursion through upstate NY, Ohio and Pennsylvania this weekend. The trip began in Port Jervis (NY) and headed west on the NS Southern Tier Mainline to Painted Post, where it diverged to the Bath & Hammondsport RR for an overnight stay.

I caught up to it early the following morning- this shot was taken shortly after 6 AM.  

Photo taken by me Saturday 8/6/2011 in the Village of Bath, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

To alleviate the need for a runaround, the B&H provided a pair of Alco Centuries for the westward trip from Painted Post to Bath. The C424ms also took the excursion a few miles further up the B&H about 30 minutes after this shot was taken.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

After cutting off the Alcos, the E8As led the train eastward through Bath again.

Photo taken by me Saturday 8/6/2011 in the Village of Bath, NY. The old B&H freight house is in the background.

Matt L

Unfortunately, the old sailor's proverb about a pink sunrise proved too- it was raining steadily when the excursion crossed Cameron Road.

Matt L

East of Cameron Road, the excursion passes a former B&H customer. This was an active yard once upon a time. The B&H interchanged with the Erie, EL and finally Conrail here... with the interchange point being moved further east a couple of times since the mid 1990s.

Matt L

The excursion approaches Babcock Hollow Road. The ROW here is ex-Lackawanna. The B&H leases the line from NS between Bath and Painted Post.

Photo taken by me Saturday 8/6/2011 in the Town of Bath, NY.  

Matt L

The excursion approaches the Savona Thurston Road crossing.

Photo taken by me Saturday 8/6/2011 in Savona, NY.   

Matt L

The excursion crosses a very wet County Route 333.

Photo taken by me Saturday 8/6/2011 in Campbell, NY.

Matt L

The excursion continued eastward to Painted Post, where it returned to the Southern Tier mainline and headed west again. Here we see the train about 1/2 mile from CP Cass. The crew was waiting for clearance from the dispatcher to leave the Tier and diverge onto the Western New York & Pennsylvania RR (WNYP).

Photo taken by me Saturday 8/6/2011 in Hornell, NY. The NS trainmaster and pilot also left the train while the lead E8A was parked under the bridge.

Matt L

Clearance granted, the excursion resumes its westward journey.

Photo taken by me Saturday 8/6/2011 in Hornell, NY.

Matt L

The excursion crosses Taylor Street.

Matt L

The excursion crosses Cass Street.

Matt L

An NS MOW truck accompanied to the locomotives to the interlocking with the WNYP.

Matt L

The excursion diverges on the WNYP. I chose not to chase the train any further, due to heavy rain and lack of familiarity with the dirt roads along the ROW.

Matt L

Thanks to an alert from a fellow railfan, I did catch NS 310 pulling into the city about 15 minutes later.

Matt L

NS 310 rumbles eastbound next to Buffalo Street.

Matt L

The GMTX lease units are making inroads in upstate NY. The trailing SD60 in 310 was the 2nd GMTX unit I've seen this year.

Matt L

Wet... wet... wet... while 310 rolls through the city.

Matt L

Go figure... I found two predecessor hoppers side by side in the consist of NS 310!  ;D

Matt L

Coil cars brought up the rear of 310. I don't often end a chase due to poor weather... but there was too much rain. This was the final shot of the day.

A very special thank you goes out to Bennett Levin, the Juniata Terminal Railroad, Norfolk Southern, the B&H RR, the WNYP and the private coach owners because they all made this excursion happen. 

butch

To bad about the rain, but it looks like you had a good time chasing.
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

Matt L

Thanks, Butch. I missed the excursion's run on the Southern Tier Mainline the previous day (owing to work commitments), but it was profiled in the Elmira Star Gazette. The article title is in error, though. A few excursions have passed through the City of Elmira since 1970. It is a good read, otherwise... and the pictures are excellent.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk