The beginning of summer in upstate NY.

Started by Matt L, July 04, 2011, 06:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

The street lights of Geneva helped a little with capturing H06 in darkness- these might be some of the latest photographs (in terms of clock time) I've ever taken.  

Photo taken by me Sun 6/26/2011 in the city of Geneva, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Interchange with the Finger Lakes Railway is just a short distance up the Corning Secondary- these covered hoppers were destined either for a salt mine or the local glass plant.

Photo taken by me Sun 6/26/2011 in the city of Geneva, NY, in the parking lot of my hotel. FGLK also has a wye, where NS turned the GEs (running elephant style) for the return trip to Gang Mills. I didn't stick  around for that- although I could hear the horn blowing as the locomotives were turned. I also heard an FGLK local in the middle of the night.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

I resumed chasing the next day. NS was long gone... but the Finger Lakes Railway had action going on at teh south end of Seneca Lake. There was MOW work, as well as local HW2.

Photo taken by me Mon 6/27/2011 in the town of Watkins Glen, NY.

Matt L

Monday of last week altogether a much better day weatherwise than Sunday, as we can see with FGLK #2307 running hammerhead with HW2 along the shore of Seneca Lake.

Photo taken by me Mon 6/27/2011 in the town of Watkins Glen, NY.

Matt L

FGLK local HW2 running on an ex-Pennsy line in the southern Finger Lakes.

Photo taken by me Mon 6/27/2011 in the village of Watkins Glen, NY.

Matt L

Yes, I can still watch a train crewman flag a crossing in upstate NY!  ;D

Matt L

FGLK HW2 switching at Cargill's salt mine.

Matt L

After dropping the boxcar at Cargill, HW2 was finished in Watkins Glen for the day. the FGLK crew took the train back to the yard at Himrod. I caught it at the former Pennsy crossing at Route 14, after the train climbed a 1.1% grade north of Watkins Glen.

Photo taken by me Mon 6/27/2011 in Starkey, NY. Please don't confuse this crossing with the NS crossing in Himrod (which a former NYC route).

Matt L

The Finger Lakes Railway has two yards in Himrod- one that is at the junction where FGLK (ex-Pennsy) intersects with the NC (ex-NYC). The other yard is south of town and HW2 tied up here after finishing work for the day.

Photo taken by me Mon 6/27/2011 in Himrod, NY. My chase ended here- I hope all of you enjoy viewing it as much as I enjoyed the chase itself. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk