I love it when my wife kicks me out!

Started by butch, May 30, 2011, 10:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch

Last Saturday, both my girls were going in different directions and my wife decided that if she ran me off, she could have the day to herself.  So she "made" me go out in pursuit of train pictures.  I headed for the TN side of the Rathole and saw a lot of trains and took some decent pix.  There was a SB sitting at Helenwood, so I dropped down to New River Bridge and caught the first of two NBs he was waiting on.  I caught the second NB at Glen Mary.  Then I scooted down the Nemo for the rest of the day.  First up was the previously mentioned SB finally able to make some progress.
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

butch

It was a good day for traffic and rather than try to chronicle everything in order, here are a couple more SB at T22 and a NB passing the old T23 portal.
Butch Adkins

butch

Somewhere the middle of the afternoon, fellow jreber Aaron texted me and he and his buddy Zach came down.  We swapped tales, caught some trains, and in general had a good time.  The last two pix are from T24, one from earlier in the day and the last one of the day as Aaron and Zach look on.

And just to make it a complete train weekend, we [wife and daughters] ate in the trolley at the Spagetti Factory in Louisville on Sunday and then today, we went to New Haven and rode the L&N 152 excursion.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1983177373086.112669.1052763780&l=ff127c81a6
Butch Adkins

nsgelocos

And a good time was had by all!  ;D We will definitely do this again sometime as I am now out of school this summer. I did get video and audio from that day too while we were there. Hope you enjoyed it with us, Butch  :D :D
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

billworsham

Jacob (NS Railfan) and I were out on the Rathole Saturday as well!! I have about 12 videos from the day.  Will post this week...we saw several of the trains Butch posted here.

Matt L

Quote from: butch on May 30, 2011, 10:35:33 PM
Last Saturday, both my girls were going in different directions and my wife decided that if she ran me off, she could have the day to herself.  So she "made" me go out in pursuit of train pictures. 

Your wife should kick you out more often- your pics are excellent.  8)
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

E.M. Bell

she needs to kick you out this weekend..Mainline steam....no tunnels, but STEAM :)

If you need any ideas and hints on how to achive this goal, just let me know.. BTW...good pics, wish I could have went with you, but I was busy working 2 weeks in 6 days..

How is the area around Nemo now...someone said they where doing some developing down around catoosa?
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

nsgelocos

Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

E.M. Bell

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

butch

Thanks Matt.

Emmitt, wish I could go, but leaving Friday morning was a deal-breaker.  Will try to catch Corman in Frankfort instead.  And I'm going to work on a return trip to KRM to chase 152-this is year 15 and it's due for inspection which is currently not funded so it may not run again.

Nemo looked about the same to me.
Butch Adkins

billworsham

Ok, Butch, while your wife kicks you out, Jacob (NS Railfan) and I covered Burnside and southward....the videos are uploaded and posted on JREB: http://www.jreb.org/ns/index.php?topic=10642.msg33209#msg33209

butch

Hey Bill, I like the video of the meet with the trio at Burnside. 

Rebecca went with me this afternoon so I gave her the Burnside tour so to speak.  Started out with a beat up NS2545 SD70 that pulling a load of rail at Cave Springs Road.  Then caught a nb coming out of the sun at KD Tower.  After I showed her CNOTP Tunnel 12, we caught a couple of SB over the ridge at about MP 183 followed by another at MP 184.  Then caught one more at Dead Ox Hollow before things clouded up and we headed over to tour CNOTP Tunnels 3-4.
Butch Adkins

bierbass

That SD70 at Cave Springs Rd. is running longhood forward. That's pretty cool. 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk