Easter weekend in upstate NY

Started by Matt L, April 28, 2011, 07:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

Sure enough, Easter is a time to see my family and reflect on spiritual matters... but it's also a time to take advantage of a 3 day weekend by spending time with NS. The Southern Tier Mainline was active, which made for a nice day at CP Cass. Symbol freight 23K arrived shortly after 10:30 AM.

Photo taken by me Saturday 4/23/2011 in the city of Hornell, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

23K heads westbound up the Buffalo Extension, destined to reach Bison Yard in the early afternoon.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The tail end of 23K rolls through the West Street crossing.

Matt L

In the early afternoon, the signals indicated an eastbound train was headed down the Buffalo Extension towards CP Cass.

Matt L

The train indicated by signal arrived a short time later. Since the power was CP, assuming this train was 38T is a safe bet. 

Matt L

The tail end of 38T, heading eastbound for Binghamton.

Matt L

Around mid-afternoon, 13T came down the Buffalo Extension.

Matt L

13T approaches Cass Street.

Matt L

The tail end of 13T passes panel track and MOW equipment just east of Cass Street. NS has been doing maintenance work here.

Matt L

Just after 13T cleared Canisteo Street, this classic '70s convertible rumbled over the crossing.

Matt L

To increase visibility, NS has been adding modern mile markers next to the old Erie mileposts across upstate NY. This one is actually on the line the NS leases to the WNYP (Western New York &  Pennsylvania RR).

Matt L

The 4th train of the afternoon arrived around 5:30 PM. I think this eastbound freight coming off the Buffalo Extension was 206, but I'm not 100% sure.

Matt L

The eastbound NS freight enters the junction at CP Cass. The connection to the WNYP is in the foreground.

Matt L

I've never seen hoppers in this shade of blue before- it look like Conrail's "dress blue" but I figure it's probably a color dictated by the owners of the hoppers.

Matt L

The tail end of 206 heads into the junction at CP Cass.

Matt L

I thought I heard two distinct horns as 206(?) entered the area and sure enough, I was rewarded with 39T heading westbound as soon as the eastbound cleared CP Cass.

Matt L

Both 39T and its eastbound counterpart 38T can be a treat because of the variety of power CP will assign to them. In this case, the leading engine for 39T was a venerable SD40-2.

Matt L

Canadian Pacific #5919 enters the West Street crossing, heading westbound on NS iron. 

Matt L

The rest of the power for 39T was interesting, too. There was a CEFX SD45 in the middle and an HLCX SD40-2 trailing.

Matt L

As 39T cleared West Street, I was getting hungry so I decided to end the chase and head to dinner.

Photo taken by me Saturday 4/23/2011 in the city of Hornell, NY. When I resume this series, we'll head east for more action.

Matt L

The following day was Easter. After stopping to see my sister in Corning, I checked out the Baker Street yard on the Corning Secondary. Norfolk Southern and the shortlines along the NY/PA border have seen a traffic surge owing to the natural gas drilling boom in northern Pennsylvania. Traffic includes water, piping and sand. Actually, I should say lots and lots of sand is moving by covered hopper. NS is getting creative with its storage solutions, which included this cut of hoppers at Baker Street.

Photo taken by me Sunday 4/24/2011 in North Corning, NY. 

Matt L

It also looks like an area just south of the location in the previous photo is getting cleared for use by NS. Given the traffic increase on the Southern Tier Mainline, this is no surprise. Baker Street Yard was a larger facility during NYC/PC eras. NS certainly has room to grow here.   

Photo taken by me Sunday 4/24/2011 in North Corning, NY. I did make a brief stop in Elmira, as well... but my lone photo was of a light engine move that wasn't very good. Lucky for me, I'd have another shot at them on Monday.

Matt L

The following day was a combination of chasing Norfolk Southern and one of its shtline interchange partners in Stueben County. The morning began at the B&H engine house, where this Alco S1 was drying off after a rainy night. The switcher is ex-NKP #85/N&W #2085.

Photo taken by me on Monday 4/25/2011 in the village of Cohocton, NY.

Matt L

Not all former Erie mileposts have gotten a new mile marker. This Erie mile post on the B&H stands alone on the eastern end of the line, which is leased from NS between Bath and Painted Post.   

Photo tkaen by me Monday 4/25/2011 in Painted Post, NY.

Matt L

Road power for the B&H local was a pair of ex-Erie Lackawanna C424ms, which were part of EL's roster during the Dereco era. Now they haul natural gas and other traffic for the Bath & Hammondsport RR. Here we see them pulling into Painted Post for interchange with NS.

Photo taken by me on Monday 4/25/2011 in the village of Painted Post, NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk