Sunny and Southern

Started by Ed Fury, March 18, 2011, 12:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Fury

With plans to head across the Ohio River to shoot both the L&I (ex-PRR) and the K&IT bridges over the flooded river today there was a slight detour before I even got started.

The first signals I came across were yellow both directions. This told me something was coming and something was parked in the Tucker siding. So off to Tucker to see 22A parked in the siding. Since when does 22A wait for other trains?

Photos 1 & 2 NS 22A @ Waterson trail and the Tucker Siding.

Ed Fury

22A waits for 23G. 23G arrives at the meet and drops off someone who then rode 22A back into Louisville. I heard them horn 6 times. There are only 5 crossing between this siding and where 23G is put together and the first two are too far away to be heard. So there might have been something behind 23G.

Photos 3 & 4 NS 23G

While zooming out my camera locked up and I could not get it to reset in time to take a closer photo as 23G passed by. So I was off to catch this guy again. Veechdale or bust.

Ed Fury

The employee who transferred from 23G to 22A was friendly and told us there was a dpu on both trains. We told him that was why we were there and he also mention that it was rare to see both of these trains at the same time. I know they have to meet someplace along the line but I guess meeting at the Tucker siding is rare.

After driving like a maniac to Veechdale I barely had time to exit and get shooting. Wrong side for the sun but you have to work with what you got and make the best of it.

Photos 5 & 6 NS 23G front and dpu

Ed Fury

After being disappointed twice by attempts to photograph 23G I let it go. I'll see a 23G again I'm pretty sure.

Gas at the Pilot was 3.37 it's 3.59 or so in town. There was a Wendy's for lunch too. And off to Indiana.

Photo #7 L&I RR (L&I RR/CSX) bridge at the falls of the Ohio. Nice collection of logs. No trains here so off to the K&IT.

Photo #8 K&IT (NS bridge)

Ed Fury

What's the Southern in the thread title all about?

Photo #9 Southern Railway concrete tunnel

Photo #10 D8-40C SOU reporting marks

Ed Fury

There's more Southern coming.

Photo #11 & Photo #12 NS 6568 with SOU reporting marks

These are at New Albany Indiana. Afternoon light is great for westbound trains... Photo #11 there was a lady and her dog pacing the train and it ruined my shot. If I had been slightly over they would have been in the shot. The dog looked better. Sorry lady.

Ed Fury

After waiting over here all afternoon for just two trains it was time to head back to the right side of the river.

Back to the restored Southern Railway depot in Buechel Kentucky.

Photo #13 NS 9582 on the daily coil train
Photo #14 NS 8927 on another autorack

Ed Fury

While at the depot I noticed someone had broken out a few of the windows. They also broke the glass in the front door and smashed the lock and damaged the door frame to one of the side doors. There were also kick marks and some gashes in the wood where they obviously used that big gray block to do the damage. I called Yogi who is in charge of the Depot and he came out and called the police. In the meantime there were 3 sets of trespassers just walking down the tracks... inbetween the last two posted trains... so I called NS and reported numerous trespassers. The NS police never showed in the hour I was there.

Photo #15 Breaking the law, err the glass.

Photo #16 Bad boys bad boys whatcha gonna do

And that wraps up my best back to back railfanning days since November of 2008 when I spent two days chasing the UP on the UP Mineola sub in East Texas between Wills Point Texas and Longview Texas.

memphis2857

That friendly employee you talked to was Chris Cornett.  He is the road foreman.  He was doing a ride along with me.  I am a CT and have to be evaluated once a month.  I was on 23g

Ed Fury

Thanks for the info on train symbols in the other thread.

I'm glad I caught your train. Wish you could pose it there more often.

I passed by the wye and the intermodal facility about 11pm and it looked like they were breaking down 22A and I didn't see anything ready for 23G except for maybe a very small section or two. But I can easily be mistaken as I do not know how the operations go over there. I do know the wye was filled at 7pm and empty at 11pm.

If I ever catch your train (23G or any other one you happen to be on) and you want a larger photo to share with family and friends drop me a line.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk