Farmville Belt Line

Started by NS_Chicago, February 06, 2009, 10:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NS_Chicago

I was looking up pictures on Railroad Pictures Archives.net and to my shock read that the Farmville Belt Line was removed!!! I went to college in Farmville, Va. And use to love to go down and watch all the empty coal trains headed West... From the pictures it was removed in 2006??? I Googled info on it but couldnt find any... Does anyone know why NS closed this Belt Line??? I know from talking to an Engineer friend of mine based in Crewe,Va. would say that they could only run empties on the Belt Line because of the grade around Elam... I havent talked to him since college. But wow, I just cant believe it! Also this was the line that was known for High Bridge! That crosses the Appomatox River... Well hopefully I didnt post this in the wrong section... But if anyone has information please let me know...

Justin Stephenson

I  know i dont know much about NS's lines but their is a good chance if their was small industry their wasnt enough cash to keep the line open so they closed it... mostly becuase of the economy maybe ? just my thought
Justin Stephenson /// Bad Day Of Railfanning Is Better Then A good Day At Work.

NS_Chicago

Actually I meant the Old N & W main the Farmville Belt Line is the line that runs  thru Greenbay, Virso and connects with the Virginia Southern. I  guess with the economy but- wow! The line was always maintained well... Maybe there was something wrong with "High Bridge"???? It dated back to the civil war era...Hmm well thanks.

tq-07fan

I don't know anything about the line other then I can confirm it is gone, at least Pamplin to Farmville. My dad and I drove along it on US 460 back in November. The abandonment appeared to be quite recent, so 2006 sounds reasonable.

NW_611

Quote from: NS_Chicago on February 06, 2009, 10:16:46 PMI went to college in Farmville, Va.
Bah! The only good thing about a college in and around Farmville, Virginia, is the eagle from New York Pennsylvania Station. (Your afternoon ODAC rivalry brought to you in part by the N&W Railway.)  ;D (Bother, just realized that you probably mean the one actually in Farmville. Sorry for any misunderstanding.) :-\

From what I understood a while back, this complicates the Trans-Dominion Express route that was proposed. There were some efforts to save the line, mostly centered around "Dear NSR, don't take up the line. Love, localities" instead of "Hey, here's some bucks or tax relief; don't take up the line".

I was out that way while stopping at Crewe two summers ago, and wow, it looks weird. Perhaps with the right kind of persuasion, Norfolk could be persuaded to either re-lay the rails or something. Has the line been conveyed as some sort of linear park as was discussed a few years ago?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk