Last mintue Heritage and getting lucky on the 1st district of the CNO&TP

Started by E.M. Bell, December 06, 2015, 04:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Saturday, 12/05/15  Tyler and myself left out early to take advantage of the heavy freezing fog we had that morning.  After shooting a few trains on the Louisville District (I will share those later) we bounced over to the CSX CC sub for a couple of trains during a lull in traffic on the NS.

We knew that we had a pair of trains with Heritage units leading, NYC 1066 on a 895 empty coal train and then the Interstate 8105 leading 147 South.  The 895 wound up sitting in Danville, Ky ALL day and would run just after dark...of course.  We spent a good amount of time on the CSX (with not much to show for it, as usual with CSX) and somehow just managed to get back North to Lexington in time to shoot the 147.

The light was already getting low, and the shadows bad by the time 147 got down to Lexington (and we beat him there by just a few minutes....One more stoplight and we would have missed it!).  After shooting him, we headed back South to grab a bite to eat before calling it a day, and just happened to hear Northbound 200 leaving Danville. As luck would have it we were driving on US 68 along the Kentucky River Bluffs, and it was getting very dark.  By chance, I told Tyler to pull into a spot I knew that you could see High Bridge from, just to watch the train go by.  Luck with with us, as there was a few rays of light still on the bridge, and a awesome golden glow from the sunset in the sky over the power plant.....  Sometimes the best shots are the ones you don't plan on, and this was One of those times......pure luck! 

You can find the full sized version of these at this link>>>  http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/nscs12015

"Yuppies hiding in the shadows" Late Saturday  afternoon, Interstate 8105 leads NS 147 South through the big curve at the South end of the yard. Downtown Lexington, Ky  and all of them city folks are surrounding us here, lurking in the shadows while the spotlight shines on the star of the moment. That big old building in the background is a former hotel that was right across Broadway from the CNO&TP station (until the station burnt that is) and is one of the older buildings left in this part of town.

"High Bridge Sunset" Our last shot of the day.....The sun is seconds away from slipping behind the ridge, creating a golden sky above the E.W. Brown Power plant (which still burns COAL to keep our lights on) and casting a few last rays of light on NS 200 as it hurries North across the Kentucky River. You can call it moody, but I call it pure luck...right place, right time!   
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

NSyorktown

Love pic #2!

Google maps tells me that it is 2.045 miles from the bridge abutment to the largest stack of the E.W. Brown complex.

That's a really cool photo, showing both central-Kentucky landmarks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk