The last Southern steam of the year...SR 630-4501 Doubleheader.

Started by E.M. Bell, November 18, 2015, 09:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

This past Sunday (1115/15) Thomas, Gage and myself departed the great state of Kentucky at 0300 and headed South for Chattanooga.  Our goal was to shoot the Southern 630 - 4501 Doubleheader operated by TVRM between Chattanooga and Summerville, Ga over the old CofG mainline (Now operated by the C&C Shortline)   This would be the last steam trip of the year for us, and has become almost a tradition to make the trip. 

I had watched the forecast all week, and it was supposed to be Mostly Sunny, but as we heard the crack of dawn somewhere around Sweetwater, TN on Interstate 75, it became all to clear that the sun would NOT be seen that day..  Ah well,  it was still in the low 30's and that meant the engines would be mighty cloud-like.....OK by me!  After the Saturday trip had been delayed by a huge mill fire at Lafayette, Ga we felt lucky that the train was running at all,  so a few clouds would not stop us.   

Our First shot of the day was at the Missionary Ridge Tunnel on the TVRM mainline at Chattanooga, and we spent the rest of the day following the train South to Ga and then back to Chattanooga.  It turned into another 20 hour trip (and on NO sleep for me, I was awake almost 40 hours total over the weekend!)   but well worth it as usual. 

Here are a few teasers, and you can find the entire set at this link >>>  http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/2015steam

The train approaches Missionary Ridge Tunnel, framed through the 986 foot bore. 

Its a chilly morning in Chattanooga as Southern 630 erupts out of the Missionary Ridge Tunnel on the TVRM mainline, leading a double header South to Georgia. The 4501 is back there in the smoke and cinders somewhere.

"The Struggle" A sight I will never grow tired of......Engineer Foster had the Southern 630 talking loud as she walked the train up steep grade through Downtown Rock Springs yesterday morning. The 630 seemed to be doing the lions share of the work most of the time, with 4501 there for moral support if needed...oh, and that ugly Orange thing behind 01's tank was just along for the ride, and would be set off later in the day

The train crawls across the former CofG bridge over the Chattooga River at Trion, Ga

630 leads the train into the house track at Summerville, Ga

Northbound crossing the bridge at Trion, Ga
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

swinstandley

E.M. Bell

It was painted a year or so ago...the first RR bridge with new paint that I have seen in a long time!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Matt L

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk