Chasing a pair of Alco Centuries

Started by Matt L, December 20, 2012, 07:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I managed to get one more chase of the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR before the end of the year. The day was picked nearly a month in advance, but the weather was perfect. The sky was crystal clear as a pair of Alco Centuries pulled into Conesus Junction in Lakeville shortly after sunrise.

The MOW crew was hard at work on a siding near Papermill Road in the Town of Avon:

The Alcos' 251 prime movers were barking as they headed up the grade to Littleville Road in the Town of Avon:

The Alcos were a familiar pair for me- a high nose C420 leading with a C425 (the LA&L's first Century purchase) trailing. They are passing the former Erie depot Village of Avon after some switching:

The LA&L local has paused to pick up a few cars at Howlett Farms in the Town of Avon:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 12/14/2012 in Livingston County, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The Alcos run northbound next to Beckwith Road in Henrietta:

Number 420 has emerged from the Genesee River bridge and leads the train across State Route 383 in Chili:

After dropping some of the consist in the yard at Genesee Junction, the Centuries have pulled a string of cars out onto the Rochester & Southern near Ballantyne Road in Chili: 

The LA&L local enters the R&S yard road at Behan Road in Chili: 

The LA&L switches at the Rochester & Southern yard in Chili:

After returning to Genesee Junction, the Alcos assembled a new train with cars picked up from CSX. GJ is in Chili, but I took this shot from East River Road in Brighton:

The LA&L local departed Genesee Junction in the early afternoon and is crossing the Genesee River in Brighton:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 12/14/2012 in Monroe County, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The southbound trip in the afternoon was great fun. Among other things, I captured the LA&L from the Lehigh Valley Trail in the Town of Rush. I've never seen any other shots of the LA&L from this location, which is the former LV mainline (removed circa 1978).

Because the ex LV-bridge over the LA&L is over mile from the road, I did sacrifice most of the LA&L afternoon switching to capture those shots. I did catch the train pulling out of downtown Avon:

The chase ended where it began... at Conesus Jct in Lakeville:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 12/14/2012 in upstate NY. I will take this opportunity, as usual, to thank the employees of the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR for their friendliness and professionalism. When it comes to chasing, it's hard to beat Alco action IMO. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk