Ride the lightning... stripes

Started by Matt L, December 12, 2012, 08:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

This month began with another fun day of chasing the Finger Lakes Railway. There was an added bonus- I rode the train. FGLK has cut back on excursions in recent years, so I figured I better get a ride while I can.

Part of the reason for the reduced excursion on FGLK is the growth in freight traffic. There is activity somewhere on the RR 7 days a week. Yard job GY1, which included FGLK's sole LV heritage loco and one of their NYC-inspired cabeese, passed the excursion site while the 1st trip of the day was out on the road.

After the 1st trip returned, the 2nd trip loaded up quickly.

Finger Lakes Railway #2301 leads the outbound leg of the 2nd trip across State Route 14.

All photos in this post were taken by me in the City of Geneva, NY. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

FGLK GP9 #1703 leads the return trip on the approach to Gambee Road in the Town of Geneva, NY:

Not long after the 2nd trip returned, I heard a familiar horn- GY1 was  waiting for the next trip to leave so it could continue working. The excursion loading site is on the ex-NYC Auburn Road, just west of the yard in the City of Geneva, NY:

I rode the 3rd trip of the day. This is the same State Route 14 crossing seen earlier in the City of Geneva, NY... albeit from a different angle!

The excursion passed through farmland and woods, including this scenic spot in Phelps, NY:

Not the greatest shot ever, but we did pass GY1 as we headed back through the Town of Geneva, NY:

As we returned to the excursion site, I caught a glimpse of Norfolk Southern's Corning Secondary where it diverges from the FGLK yard in the City of Geneva, NY:

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 12/1/2012. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

I stuck around for the remainder of the excursions on the Finger Lakes Railway that day, enjoying the nostalgic feel of NYC-inspired colors on an old NYC route. Number 2301 leads the 4th trip of the day at State Street in the City of Geneva, NY:

Now the train is running through the woods shortly before reaching Carter Road in Oaks Corners, NY:

Number 1703 leads return leg of the 4th trip across State Route 14 in the City of Geneva, NY:

The 5th trip of the day runs along Lewis Street in the City of Geneva, NY:

Darkness was falling by the time the 5th and final trip of the day got to Pre Emption Road in Oaks Corners, NY:

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 12/1/2012. This was my 3rd time chasing FGLK in 8 days and each chase had something new to see. I'd like to thank the employees of the Finger Lakes Railway, the members of the Geneva Rotary and the nice folks at Smith Opera House for making this last excursion day of the year happen.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk