Train Logging Website

Started by csx6900, November 25, 2012, 12:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csx6900

Hi all-

For the past few months, I've been teaching myself PHP, a website programming and application language.  I'd like to start a project I enjoy that will be useful to railfans.

One idea that I've come up with is a website that railfans can use to log their train sightings.  It would store the sightings (including information such as train ID, loco numbers, location, date, time, length, etc) in a database.  Then the user could keep a log of their sightings online.

Not only that, but the website would compile the sightings to keep charts and lists for each train, locomotive, and location.  For example, you could search the database for a location like Danville, KY.  It would then pull up all of the sightings ever submitted for Danville.  The page would also display common train ID's for Danville, busiest times to be in Danville, and other information.

You could also search the database for individual locomotives and pull up all of the sightings for a certain railroad, certain model, or even an exact locomotive (ex: NS 1000).  Or any combination of such (ex: NS SD70ACe).  The same goes for train ID's, which would allow you to search for sightings of individual ID's (ex: 229).  Then the result would tell you information about that train based on a compilation of the sightings (including origin, destination, common motive power, etc).

I believe that this website could become a powerful railfanning tool should it be used.  Of course, for it to be useful as anything other than a personal log, it needs to be used!  The more it's used, the more data it can compile and provide to users.

Basically, I would like to know other railfans' thoughts on this idea.  Any questions?  Suggestions?  And most importantly: Would you use it?  Before you answer, here's a list of some features I've come up with:

Browse by location, railroad, locomotive type, locomotive number, train ID, or user

Field accessible (mobile access, possibly a smart phone app)

News, FAQ, Contact Us pages/features

Text/email train sightings via mobile phone

Customizable home page by user to display recently sighted trains of choice upon login.

Auto searches that users can set to notify them of specific train and locomotive sightings; provide options for UP, NS, and Amtrak heritage units.

When viewing train sightings that have no train ID, display possible matches based on time, direction, and type, if available.

Provide a service that allows users to send a sighting (or groups of sightings) via email to contacts or groups.  This would make train reports easy to compile and send.

Ideas?  Questions?  Comments?  I'm open!

-Thanks,
Evan
Owner and Administrator of RailSightings.com

chipallen16

I love the idea and would use it. If you have the space to store all of this information, I'm all up for it. My only suggestion would be to include steam locomotives too.

That's all!
-Chip  :)

csx6900

Thanks, Chip!  I've had several people say they would use it.  So it appears as though it probably wouldn't be an issue as far as data input... for certain areas anyways.

As far as steam locomotives, I'm not sure what I'll do about them yet.  I don't think I really want to include tourist trains in the compilations for locations and such, but 20th Century Steam and all that kind of complicates things.  I suppose that I could include specific steamers (630, 4501, 844, etc).  But for now I'll add it to the list of "future features" and work on the basics.  Thanks for the input though!

-Evan

E. Hodgson

If you need hosting or help I have several severs with spare bandwidth and space. Also a wealth of knowledge with hosting and server management. Just drop me a line!

csx6900

Thanks!  I've sent you a personal message about it.

-Evan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk