Alcos on a crisp fall day

Started by Matt L, November 21, 2012, 07:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I spent  the better part of a day chasing the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR last week. For those of you haven't seen my other LA&L threads, this shortline is Alco powered. The LA&L is also a member of the Empire Link, which is a partnership between NS and roughly 10-12 shortlines in upstate NY and northern PA to increase short haul freight service.

The frost was just starting to melt when a familiar horn alerted me to the LA& local heading northbound. A high nose C420 is about to lead the train across Lehigh station Road in Henrietta, NY:

LA&L #420 idles between switching moves at Mortimer Junction in Henrietta, NY:

The LA&L's lone C420 and a trailing C425 cross Paul Road in Chili, NY. They had just dropped off some freight cars in the Rochester & Southern RR's Brooks Ave yard, which were forwarded to NS at Sliver Springs (NY) that evening.  

The LA&L's Alco Centuries perform switch moves after picking up a string of cars from CSX at Genesee Junction in Chili, NY:

A few CSX trains, including this westbound manifest freight, crossed Route 383 while I was waiting for the LA&L local to depart Chili, NY.

The LA&L local departs Genesee Junction in Chili, NY:

A CSX crew was working on the crossing gate at Route 383 in Chili, NY.  One of the CSX employees properly flagged the crossing for each passing train, including the LA&L:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 11/16/2012.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

This chase included a few locations I've rarely used in the past. One such place was Beckwith Road, near the Bailey Road crossing in Henrietta, NY:

The LA&L crosses East River Road in southern Henrietta, NY:

This was the first time I caught a freight train passing Howlett Farms on the north side of Avon, NY:

The LA&L Alco Centuries switch the former Erie RR/EL yard in downtown Avon, NY:

Here is one of my favorite spots to watch the LA&L- the Barilla Pasta plant at Avon, NY. It smells like a giant bowl of noodles!

Once the switching was completed. C425 #425 led the train out of downtown Avon, NY:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 11/16/2012.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The final set of pictures I'll share from this chase are locations I have never photographed trackside... until now.

Location #1 in North Littleville Road in Avon. NY:

Location #2 is Littleville Road in Avon, NY:

Location #3 is the bridge over Pole Bridge Road in Avon, NY. The grade near here is 0.87%, so the brakes were squealing as the LA&L train came downhill.

I'll end this pictorial with the South Lima Road crossing in Lakeville, NY. The location is also known as Conesus Junction because this is where the Lakeville Industrial Spur joined the Erie RR's Rochester Division in days of old.

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 11/16/2012. I will take this opportunity to thank the employees of the LA&L and CSX for their professionalism and courtesy. I hope y'all have enjoyed this Alco powered chase. Happy Thanksgiving!

NSMoWandS

Got some great shot there Matt! Esp #1 in Avon and the ones at the station. Dan

Matt L

Thanx, Dan! If you or any other jreb members ever come north, I'll be glad to either yake y'all on a chase of the LA&L or (if I can't attend) give detailed instructions where to go. This line, along with the affiliated Bath & Hammondsport RR and WNYP, are pure Alco heaven.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk