Rare Erie RR mileage... with STEAM!!!

Started by Matt L, September 26, 2012, 08:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

The community of Eden celebrated its bicentennial this past weekend. Festivities included excursions on the Buffalo Southern RR, which is the part of the Buffalo & Southwestern Branch of the Erie RR. The line remained under EL control (including the Dereco years) until C-Day in 1976. BSOR took over this line in 1982.

The excursion operated with a locomotive at each end of the train. The steam engine, Viscose Company #6, is the smallest operating steam engine I've ever seen.

Owing to the small size of #6, BSOR included an Alco S2 at the other end of the train. (Excellent choice for a diesel, IMO) A couple coaches from the New York & Lake Erie were part of the consist.

The open air coach behind #6 was made from two Pennsy cabeese.

Nickel Plate fans would have enjoyed this excursion as well.... because a local owner placed their bay window NKP caboose in the consist. Yes, passengers rode in it!

The BSOR crew prepares #6 for the first trip of the day.

This is a quick test run before the first trip.

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 9/22/2012 in Eden, NY.  

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The trips were about about 3 1/2 miles long and each of them took a little over an hour to complete, as the excursion stopped at a farm on the return leg.

Buffalo Southern #93 led the northbound trip, with 0-4-0 #6 trailing the consist.

Viscose Company #6 leads the return trip at the Shadagee Road crossing.

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 9/22/2012 in Eden, NY.  

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The BSOR excursion returns to town, pulling up to the ex-Erie/EL depot and semaphore.

Employees of Steve Symans (who owns #6) and BSOR tend  to #6 between trips:

I was allowed a peek inside the cab of #6.

All photos in this post were taken by me Sat 9/22/2012 in Eden, NY.

Matt L

Final preparations are made for the 2nd trip of the day.

The 2nd trip of the day heads northward out of town. 

All photos in this post were taken by me Sat 9/22/2012 in Eden, NY. I wish could have stayed longer to chase #6 in the lead on the return leg, but I had an engagement in the Finger Lakes that evening. In closing, I wish to thank Pat and Brian from the Buffalo Southern RR (great guys!), Steve Symans (owner of little steamer #6), the Eden PD, town officials and everyone else who helped make this event happen. There are rumors this excursion could operate in nearby Hamburg for that town's bicentennial next year- hopefully those rumors will come true!   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk