The south end of a north bound SD70M

Started by Badhorse79, June 08, 2010, 11:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badhorse79

I just won a SD70 on Ebay and I'm really lookin forward at doing a 70M flared version I ordered the parts from DLH...  my question is has anyone done one of them before and what all was removed from the rear section just need some feedback to see what all I need besides the obvious (Cab and Radiators)
thanks... Eric

NSMoWandS

Basically, it is just the flared radiators. I think one door is two inches shorter... but i wouldn't care about that... haha!

NSMoWandS

NSMoWandS

Badhorse79

Real NICE lookin pair there!!!!! The slug looks real good 

MP15NUT

first, the SD70M also needs a Phase 2 cab, Monsterrailroader on youtube made a video how to make one for UP, which is the same, and another one were he shows an NS SD70M that he did for a friend,  NSMoWandS are you the won who has all of the CSX vehicles on the 1/87th vehicle Club website?  If so, you do amazing work! 8)
MP15NUT
Modeling the NS Delmarva Secondary as the Delmarva Central

delcrr.webs.com
DELC is now on facebook!
Just search Delmarva Central!

Badhorse79

I ordered the cab and radiators from a guy close to cincy DLH locos in sringfield Ohio  I was just looking at some pics on Dash9's site he has a good shot of the rear end of em so that's what I was hoping wouldn't be an issue  I just got the Engine today and it's wired all wrong but I ordered a tsunami board for and one for an Exconrail 70 I have So that will be a nice pair of lugs on the ol layout next I wanna do a SD60I
thanks for the help ya guys....I have just an iPod as my only access to the Internet so I'm not able to post pics I would like to share pics of locos and stuff but oh well maybe later on ....     

NSMoWandS

MP15NUT,
   No that is not me on that site... i should join... i have done lots of MoW vehicles for people. I, however, have seen some people just add hyrail wheels to a 3 axle 2 1/2 ton trucks... the front hyrail wheels are usually put on the front end... WRONG! They should be under the back of the cab. I am planning on building a couple more CSX vehicles for my layout. If you need any advice... feel free to ask...

Badhorse79,
   I finished the GP40-2 for the slug quite quickly... The pic has that non D/B equipped gp38-2 the slug... now a have the mother unit done! Time to work on that SD40 I have been putting off! Lots of mods to do!

Badhorse79

Is the 40 gonna be YN3 ???? I want to to a few CSX locos for runthroughs I have the paint and decals just everything I have or buy winds up being the Horse of course ....   

Michael Knight

Quote from: Badhorse79 on June 13, 2010, 05:58:50 PM
Is the 40 gonna be YN3 ???? I want to to a few CSX locos for runthroughs I have the paint and decals just everything I have or buy winds up being the Horse of course ....   

You should make a couple of SD50s or SD60s for your CSX run-throughs. Those undec. Proto 2000 units I have would be perfect.  ;)

Badhorse79

Lol that they would .... Maybe I could do a Coopers Creek,Frisco Tenn. kinda Scene,? I'm all about big diesels and coal trains...     

Badhorse79

Hey all I just received the cab and radiator parts today I'm gonna start on it tomarrow. I test fitted the cab there's a lil overhang do to the frame being tapered in to the steps need to straighten it out other than that Its ok till I have to cut into a perfectly good lookin shell lol 

NSMoWandS

yeah badhorse,
  The GP40-2 is in YN3 paint. I also patched my SD80AC with new numbers and painted the cab roof white. I also patched a Conrail SD50 with new numbers and a white roof. I have to paint two AC4400's roofs white, modify SD40 and paint( big project ) and patch my old western maryland sand hopper with CSX MoW decals for sand service. Once those are done... I will be looking for new projects... I have and old U33B in SCL and an undecorated C30-7 shell... I am thinking I might kitbash them into a B36-7 but make it one of the RCPHG4's. Not that I would NEED a remote control platform for my layout... haha, but it will look good in my display case!

Badhorse79

Dang your busy too....  I just finished putting the radiators on waiting for the putty to dry...  I ordered Genesis SD70M Interior hopefully it will fit.... the cab is a lil cockeyed and I'm kinda P.Oed cause for $30 bucks the cab could be in a lil better shape but I will manage all in all I'm satisfied Its gonnabe numbered 2611 due to 611 a lil Homage to the J that should be rompin the rails still   

NSMoWandS

Badhorse,
   Nice touch on the number! Keep 'em rolling!

NSMoWandS

Badhorse,
What was the company that made the cab?

Badhorse79

DLH loco he's outta Springfield Ohio  www.dlhloco.com kinda upset at this cab though the casting is a  is decent just not $30 but it beats a blank 

Badhorse79

Well I got the HTCRII sideframes today from walthers (Smokeyvalley) I've never had such a fun time removing sideframes before .... Yeah Genisis series suck gotta dismantle the whole damn truck!!! anywhoo there on!  Im waiting on the cab interior to arrive then I'm set for parts I also went all out and got the DEtails West SD70's super detail kit I will work on this tedious stuff tomarrow but I just wanted to share this with anyone interested I'll update later
Eric   

Badhorse79

Well I put the interior in and windows, and headlight bulbs I have to order the ditch lights from athearn the old bulbs got stuck and Trying to remove them ain't pretty so I ordered new ones! I have the sound board in and speaker in, after installing the radiators there's  not a lot of room! The horns a little weak but I'll adjust that later! I'm waiting on the handrails to get here  while Im waiting ill decal her  I wish I had an actual computer to post pics of it I tried posting from the iPod there's no way I can figure out? I'll talk to ya all later
happy fathers day to all fathers 

NSMoWandS

Badhorse,
Here's the GP40-2 with the slug at the sanding and refueling spot.

Badhorse79

Very nice I like the highway bridge loco looks at home waitin for a job nice lookin 40 sir

NSMoWandS

NSMoWandS

Badhorse79

That lil guy needs a raise ! your track looks real good, That the plastic pellet plant in the background there 

thpbears

Where you guys getting the hy-rail wheels.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk