HO Scale 6920 vet unit

Started by Badhorse79, January 20, 2013, 08:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badhorse79

JWall

So who made the cast resin cab for the unit????  Anyone know?

Inquiring minds want to Know????

I would like at least one of them no matter how ugly they are.

James Wall
James Wall
Rural Hall, NC

Badhorse79

I asked the person who posted it but no answer yet? ? The modeler does tons of rare engines hes done the SD59-2 thing UP has

NSMoWandS

Over at ATLAS Co... a guy scratchbuilt/kitbashed a SD60E cab from a SD60M cab... still a work in progress. Dan

PS- Badhorse... I think UP is calling it a SD59MX.

Badhorse79

Yeah thats it thanks dan!! And i wanna say that the atlas guys the same person!  Thats where i first seen it! This guy also sells NS SD70M. s on ebay for $650. I think thats a little high ! He has some CSX flared Ms as well if yer feeling froggy dan lol

NSMoWandS

$650? Little high for me... unless it is brass. I would rather spend $650 on some heritage units! Dan

PS- does a major model builder make a 70M with flares?

Badhorse79

Not in HO!  Athearn and Kato had a few runs in N Scale

NSMoWandS

Check out this resin kit for flares and cab for Athearn models. Pretty neat. Dan
http://www.dlhloco.com/

JWall

I have used this cab and flare kit, I was not happy with it.  There was to much flash to clean up and pitting to fill in.  The detail around the number boards was minimal, I ended up modifying a set of DW number boards for a Dash 9.  Some one also pointed out to me that the radiator is not the NS style. The flare kit is for the UP two section grill and I think NS uses a 3 section grill.  I am thinking of getting another cab and flare kit from that auction site, there is a seller on the west coast casting them.  I am not sure about how to go about doing a 3 section rad grill though, might want to study some pics on the radiator flare.

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC
James Wall
Rural Hall, NC

NSMoWandS

JWall... thanks for the comment. I had also read that the casting has some issues... but with a small company (2 guys I think) a vacuum machine set-up(to remove all the air bubbles) is about $100K! Is there a way to sand off the grills and mount 3 new ones? I only ask because I was planning on doing a NS version. Thanks again for your info! Dan

Badhorse79

Hate the cab i posted a complait and i cut up a SD80 Cab to make ot feasible still a little caddy whompass !! $35 bucks!!! Research and development needs a boost

JWall

Ir my memory serves me correctly the grills are Cannon and Co. parts.  I don't think Cannon does the 3 section grill for the 70.  Maybe the 80/90 grills of the SD45 had three section grills.  I hav enot yet looked at any photos to confirm this though.  I posted a photo of the 70 flare in an earlier model contest so take  a look back at it.

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC
James Wall
Rural Hall, NC

Badhorse79

I used cannons gp 40 rads then counted the louvers and cut in half then used strips of styrene to fill any voids!

NSMoWandS

Ok, sounds like I am just better off doing the cab and flares myself... ought to be fun! Dan

NSMoWandS

Quote from: Badhorse79 on January 21, 2013, 11:53:38 AM
Yeah thats it thanks dan!! And i wanna say that the atlas guys the same person!  Thats where i first seen it! This guy also sells NS SD70M. s on ebay for $650. I think thats a little high ! He has some CSX flared Ms as well if yer feeling froggy dan lol

Ok, did some research. CSX does not have any "flared" 70M's. They DO have "flared" 70MAC's... but they all have the normal nose... w/o full door like NS's. And I found Overland made a brass "flared" 70MAC in CSX. See pic below. Just FYI. Dan

Ladderpipe

On the Facebook "Norfolk Southern Model Railroading" page, there is a guy that knows the guy that made this unit (apparently, they are in the same club together). Anyway, the guy plans to offer the 60E cabs in the future. There is actually a pretty cool picture of two if them he did on there now

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk