Main Menu

DCC why?

Started by Badhorse79, May 06, 2012, 11:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badhorse79

Well I went down to the yee ol layout to "test run " the newly laid track ... hooked up the Digitrax Zephyr up stuck 2684 on the rails ... ahhh good ... hear the start up of the lovely EMD purring like a kitten ... then about 2 seconds of that the shut down sequence happens loco goes dead ... lights on but no sound ... ok that's ok ill check the wires! !! Ok those are good ... well let's grab the Gevo! !! Same thing starts up then shuts down .... ok so what is the issue!  ? I reset them BOTH to factory settings .... Nope still shuts down... so my dad had bought me the MRC module thing for analog DC sound thingamajig!  Well all sounds are functional and works juuuust fine ... well any one care to take a crack at what's up with the Zephyr. ? Any help is greatly appreciated

chipallen16

It sounds like you need boosters around the layout. From what you're saying, I think the Zephyr doesn't have enough power to run a layout of your size and run sound decoders at the same time.

-Chip  :)

Badhorse79

I guess I should of said above I even moved the loco to the starting point where the zephyr is connected... lol but I thought that to I am out right now but I think I read on the site on how to reset the Zephyr I might try that after I get home ... but thanks T.K

NSMoWandS

Have no clue... strictly DC here.

Badhorse79

Well some times it just takes reading the 800 page manual ... I had to reset the command center back to factory settings for some reason if not proper shut down,the thing changes settings and for some reason it asked the locos CV that sets off the shut down to run ! So now I know

NSMoWandS

Good to know... and that is why I run DC. I know sound and lights, bells and whistles are cool... but, It seems from people I know and hear from are always having some sort of problems. eg- at an open house... the owner realized(well, I did and told him) that the lead unit wasn't powered and was just being pushed by the other two... can anyone say FLAT SPOTS? Maybe in another 5-10 years when I start a new layout... I will give it a try. And as always... this is just my opinion...

stillbre

You might need to check your CVs.  It it possible to set a CV that will shut off the sound if the locomotive sits idle for a few minutes.  Not sure what the CV number is or even if all decoders have it.  I know the Tsunamis do because a friend of mine set up all the locomotives on his layout to shut down after 2 minutes to save your ears during an operating session.
Personally I use NCE so checking CVs is much easier but you may want to look into getting a JMRI programmer or similar that you can use to change CVs on your computer.
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

fireball451

I would have to double-check, but I don't think Tsunamis time out on default setting.
I think they have to be programmed.
I am VERY happily using NCE also.
Problems I encounter are of my own doing.
Its a very easy to use and understand system.
I have both the PowerPro and the Powercab systems.
Manuals are really not needed as the clearly labeled keys and display make it so easy to use.

NSMoWandS

I will have to check NCE out. Thanks for the info.

thpbears

Getting ready to get a NCE powercab. Fireball has assured me that even I can use it. :P

stillbre

My 18 month old son can use NCE.  Nuff said.
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

fireball451

My daughter is about to turn 10 and has been using NCE since she was 6.

NSMoWandS

OK...OK... I guess that means I should... SHOULD be able to use it! haha!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk